Epilogue-Diamonds in the Sky

People describe it as a bright light. Others say it is a peaceful darkness that envelops you, and it feels like you are just going to sleep.

Death for me was neither of those things.

I could hear the others as they approached my body, but I was no longer in it. I could not see them, but I knew they were there. I could feel there pain, and grief as they carried me away. But it was all insignificant to what I was feeling now.

I knew I was dead, but I felt intrigued, curious almost. Where was this in-between that my soul resided in?

As if opening my eyes for the first time, I could see. I could see everything, and instinctively, I knew I was home.

I stood in a field of shimmering green grass that went on as far as I could see and if I turned, there was a city, a city of lights so bright, I could not look directly at it. But I belonged here.

"No, you don't."

I turned away from the city. I blinked at the dazzling woman who stood before me.

She was tall for a woman, though dainty. Like me she wore a simple white dress, though hers accentuated her soft curves and fair skin. Unlike me, she had soft blonde hair that waved to the middle of her back, and full, pink lips that smiled at me, and a glow that seemed to emanate from within her.

She seemed so familiar. Where did I know her?

"Penny," she said quietly.

I gasped. That voice. This was the owner of the other voice in my head, the one that tried to keep me sane when Akron infiltrated my thoughts.

"Is this heaven?" I gasped and placed my hand to my lips. My voice! This wasn't my voice. It sounded so . . . ethereal.

The woman smiled. "Something like that. This is my home. Our home. It is the In-Between land."

"Is there no heaven?"

The woman laughed, and I found myself gasping at the sound. Her sapphire blue eyes sparkled with delight.

"You are everything I thought you would be," she said with awe.

My eyebrows came together in confusion. Who was she?

"What are you talking about? And you haven't answered my question."

I hated to be rude to this beautiful woman, but I was beginning to become wary. Who was to say that the battle wasn't over?

The woman's face became somber, and I instantly regretted my words.

"Of course, you don't know me. My name is Lailah, and I am an Angel of God. I have watched you for many years. I've watched you grow into a beautiful, young woman.

"It pained me to see you fight the Grigori. I wish there was some way that I could've been of some help to you then. But I gave you all that I could to ensure that you would be able to defeat Akron and the Grigori, and you have well exceeded my expectations."

I gasped as realization set in.

"You look so much like your father," she whispered.

I rushed forward, throwing my arms around the woman. She was very warm, warmer than any human I had ever held, and she was very, very real.

"I never thought I would ever see you," I cried. She placed a hand to my head and stroked my hair gently.

"Mother," I whispered.