17-Up All Night

I wandered in the dark for a long time, not knowing where my feet were taking me.

I didn't stop until I reached a large, red, two story house. There were no lights on. It held so many of my happiest moments, but the image of it did not bring me the comfort I wanted. I walked forward and placed a hand to the peeling paint of the door.

I leaned my ear against it, as to feel it breathe, while it nestled its occupants in sleep.

I stepped back, dropping my hand. No, it did not offer me the peace I seeked.

I turned and continued walking. This time, I ended up at a large two story house that had been painted in a color that could only be described as salmon.

I walked around the back, and peered up to the second story window. A turret covered in green, sticky vines, hugged the side of the house, leading straight to the window. So many times I had been talked into shimmying up and down that same turret.

I reached for it and began to climb; only grimacing slightly as the sticky vines pressed into the tender flesh of my palm. I pulled myself up onto the roof.

I pressed my palms against the window and pushed up. Ha! Just like I thought, unlocked. Alli never locked her windows, despite my warnings of a creepy pedophile that could sneak in through her window, as I was doing now.

I stepped into the dark room and closed the window behind me. Turning, I noticed the small lump under the covers. Everything in Alli's room was red, dubbing it the Red Room. Blood red walls, scarlet curtains, and red and black bed sheets. It was her way of rebelling against her mother and her love of bright colors.

Slipping off my sneakers, I approached the lump and lifted the covers, sliding in next to her like I used to when I was having problems at the Rutherford house.

She turned over and cracked her eyes open. "Penny, what are you doing here?" she said groggily.

"I needed to get away," I whispered. She sat up and looked down at me. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "No." Seeing the tears in my eyes, she sank back down next to me and pulled me into her arms.

We stayed like that until the morning.

"Morning Sunshine!"

The sudden light from the window made me blink and groan. I pulled the sheets over my head. "Go away."

"I brought you breakfast. Blueberry bagels and scrambled eggs with one strip of bacon. I remembered."

I sat up slowly, rubbing the sleep from eyes. "It smells good," I stated. Alli raised an eyebrow and placed her hands on her hips. "Are you questioning my culinary skills?"

I placed my head between my knees, trying to stop my head from spinning.

"Your head still bothering you?"

I lifted my head and grabbed the piece of bacon that sat on a tray beside the bed. I took a bite and nodded.

Alli walked over and sat on the bed, watching me closely. She placed a hand on my foot. "Penny, I know there are some things that you have never told me. And I know I have a lot of things that I've never told you, but . . . as friends we're expected to tell each other everything. And I completely understand that you kept some things from me."

"Alli, tell me where you're going with this."

Alli sighed. "You moved in with those kids, if they're even kids, for a reason you didn't tell me . . ."