22-Earth, Wind, Water and Fire

It isn't easy, waking up from a sweet dream; a world where the ones that I loved and cared for would never be in danger.

I didn't want to open my eyes. In reality, I felt like I was drowning. But here, in this sweet, sweet dreamland where nothing bad ever happened to its occupants, I felt safe, sure.

But eventually, everyone has to wake up, right? Slowly, I dug myself from out of my trance.

I was alone in the bed. I pushed myself up and rubbed at my sore, swollen eyes. How much had I cried last night? Enough, I thought.

I swung my feet over the bed. I looked down at myself. This would have to do.

I took my time going downstairs. Still no Isra, I observed. First Sofie, then Rebecca . . .

I ground my teeth. Suck it up, Cross. She's not dead. She is an angel. It's right that she is home. But my own weak reassurances couldn't stop the dull ache in my chest.

I walked to the kitchen, not looking at anyone as I did. Nehemiah stood over the counter, a dish rag between his outstretched hands.

"What are you thinking about?" I whispered.

Nehemiah didn't lift his head. I inched closer. He closed his eyes. He lifted his then and opened them again.

I met his gaze. As usual, they gave nothing away. "Do you really want to know?"

No.

"Yes," I said quietly.

"I was thinking how much easier it would have been to just have handed you over to Akron."

I caught my breath, becoming rigid. Nehemiah held my gaze unforgivingly.

"I apologize," Nehemiah finally said, noticing my horror struck expression. I wouldn't allow myself to cry.

"It's so easy to become like one of you. Human."

"I think you should leave, now," I whispered quietly to him. He watched me with a hard gaze before his eyes flickered over my shoulder.

I turned and met Edon's angry stare. Nehemiah's eyes shifted back to mine. He nodded once, curtly and turned, leaving me alone with Edon.

I turned to look at him. His eyes softened and he pulled me into his arms.

"Don't" I said, pushing him away. His eyebrows came together in confusion.

"Hey, don't let that asshole affect you."

"No, Edon, it isn't about what he said. He just said words that I already knew."

"Penny−"

"No, it's fine. He has the right to blame me. I know I can't blame myself, and I'm not. But that's not going to change the fact that Rebecca's gone and Sofie's missing."

With that, I pushed past him and into the lounge. Still no Isra. I sighed. I knew she could hear me from her place upstairs.

I glanced around the room, all their eyes trained on me. I took a breath and said, "No one expected it to turn out this way. Hell, I never thought that I would be battling an evil angel to save the world. Stuff like this only happens in movies and books. I wish it was just a movie, or someone else's life. But it's mine's, and yours, and soon it will be everyone's reality if we don't do something.

I laughed humorlessly. "I can't do this alone. I know you guys think I'm the chosen one or marked one, or whatever it is the prophecy speaks of, but honestly, I am just a kid. I have hopes and dreams, just like any other kid my age. I never planned for this, never factored this into my life goals. In all the excitement, we forgot who we really are. I have.