7-Penny In the Sky with Diamonds

Friday was finally here and I was flying. Alli, on the other hand, was on the other side of the spectrum.

She stared up at the board moodily, drumming her fingers on the desk.

I shook my head at her. She kept me entertained. I glanced around the room and caught the eye of Nathan. I looked away quickly and turned back to Alli.

"So how was that date with this mystery person?"

"It wasn't a date," she said sourly. "More like a joke; I was stood up. Who stands me up? I practically had the waiter at the café drooling," she stage whispered.

I hid my smile with my hand. If only she knew. I had told her everything that had happened between Wednesday and today-deciding to omit the waiter. She gave the right amount of interest, but I could tell she was upset about something. When I asked, she said it was nothing but a case of mistaken identity, whatever the hell that meant.

She turned towards me. "So who's this Edon?"

"I met him at the coffee shop after you left. He asked me to Lloyd's House of Music. Have you ever been there?"

Alli shrugged. "I heard about it. I've never been there." She glanced over at me. "So, you really feeling this guy, aren't you? What happened to that guy?" She tilted her head towards Nathan on the other side of the room.

I rolled my eyes. "Please, Alli, there was never anything between us. He's just some weirdo living in a fantasy world and he wanted me to join."

Alli perked up a little, raising an eyebrow. "Was it like those virtual cyber worlds? I heard about that. Really freaky, Penny."

"Yeah, something like that."

The bell finally rang and I gathered my stuff, stuffing it all in my bag. Alli walked beside me as we made our way to our next class. "What school does Edon go to?"

"Derek says Chaney High. He also says he has a rep around there as being a heartbreaker."

'Do you believe that?" Alli asked, looking up at me.

I shrugged. "It isn't like we're getting serious or anything. It's just one date, but Derek was practically about to jump down my throat about it. He's really taking this older brother thing seriously."

Alli smiled widely. "Speaking of, how does it feel to finally be a Rutherford?"

I shrugged. "I know I should be happier, and I am; this is what I've been waiting for all my life. But now, it just feels wrong to be called anything else but Penny Cross."

"Well, the adoption isn't official yet, right? They still have to fill out the paperwork and what not. They just made the decision. You're still Penny Cross. No worries," All shrugged.

I looked down at her. "You seem a lot more cheerful," I said, eyeing her suspiciously.

"I am, because I know you're going to let me pick out your outfit for tonight," she said, giving me a sly glance.

I shook my head. There would be no point in trying to fight with her. I wouldn't win.

The rest of the day dragged along slowly. More than once, I found myself drumming my fingers impatiently or tapping my foot along with the ticking of the clock.

Eventually, the final bell rang and I breathed a sigh of relief.

"In a hurry to be somewhere?" I turned to my left to see Zach smirking at me.

"Actually, I am." I crossed my arms. "I guess Nathan told you about Wednesday."

He smiled slightly and nodded. "He was a little surprised to see you coming out of the bathroom half naked."