12-Sometimes Goodbye is a Second Chance

A/N: an update! Finally! I know its been way too long but ive been super duper busy. Ive joined my schools drill team and summer training has kept me out all day and given me no time to write or upload. And since i couldn't find my drive to upload when i could write, i had to wait and buy a new one. Sooo . . . here is chapter 12 of Birthmarked:]

Enjoy.

Edon paced back and forth in front of me. I sat on his bed, watching him.

"Why are you doing this again?"

"To keep my family safe. It seems my parents had enemies. I think that's why my mom gave me up. Now that they've found me, they might come after me and my family," I cringed. I didn't want to lie to him, but it was the closest thing to the truth that I had.

I stood and took his hand, stopping his dizzying movement. "Would you calm down? We can still see each other."

"But under their roof and under their eyes," Edon said. I nodded. He pulled his hand away. "What if I say I don't want that?"

I sighed. "I have no answers to that question, Edon. I'd thought you would be relieved. This way I'll be safe-"

"From what? Some darkness that these people claim is after you? How can you even trust them? They're a group of teenagers!"

"They look like teenagers, Edon. But they can keep me safe. I'm not going to put anybody in danger for my own selfish reasons. That wouldn't be fair."

Edon sighed heavily and gave me a dark glare. "You're being real stupid, Penny, to trust these people."

His words hit me like a bullet, but the stubborn side of me wouldn't let him see my pain. I bristled quickly and said, "Don't you ever call me stupid. I'm trying to protect what's mine. Unlike you, I have a choice, and I'm not going to let my family die."

Once the words were out, I regretted them, slapping my hands over my mouth. I stared at him, shaking my head, as he watched me with hurt eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I-"

He held up a hand. "Save it. There's no need to apologize. You're right," he said, turning away. "You should probably leave now, Penny."

I nodded, gathering my bag before turning toward the exit.

"Is it over?" Alli asked as I packed my things. I shook my head. "I don't think so. But I shouldn't have said that. He feels guilty about what happened to his parents and I just proved that it was his fault."

Alli shrugged. "I think he'll get over it. Especially now that you can't see each other like you used to."

"Yeah, I know, but Alli, I really hurt him. He's never insulted me before. I know this isn't the worst fight we've ever had but they've always ended well. I think I screwed up really big this time."

Alli zipped up the duffle bag and put it on my shoulder. "Talk to him. He's upset right now, of course, but Edon doesn't seem like the kind to hold a grudge. He'll listen to you." Alli winked.

A car horn blew outside and I turned to Alli and hugged her. "I'm going to miss you," she whispered. I pulled away and smiled. "Well, you're welcome to come over whenever you like. They have a very big house. I doubt they would mind having another room occupied."

She laughed a little shakily. "You're still coming to school, right?"

I snorted. "Mrs. Friedman would kill me if I missed one of her lectures." We laughed. She hugged me again before turning toward the door. I followed her downstairs where the rest of the Rutherfords waited.