Chapter Seven

I felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking me, I opened my eyes slowly, rubbing the sleep out of them. I looked over but it was too dark to see the figure standing next to my bed.

"Hi there Ms. Mute." The figure said.

"Calum?" I asked groggily.

"The one and only." He said cheerily, "Come on. Let's go on an adventure."

"What time is it?" I asked him, looking around the room.

"3am." He said, I could hear the smile in his voice.

"We can't. There's curfew." I said, looking in the general direction his voice was coming from.

"We won't get caught, I promise. Please?" He said, I saw his hand closer to me, and I hesistated for a moment before taking it.

We headed out the door and down the hallway to the left. We passed in front a door that had a sign on it reading: HEMMINGS

I froze in my spot and looked at the door, rethinking my decisions.

"Come on," Calum whispered. "Its fine. He wont hear us."

I looked at the door once more before nodding and following the black haired boy down the hallway.

***

*Luke's POV*

I woke up to voices outside my door.

"Come on, it's fine. He won't hear us." The voice was Calum's, one of our more unstable patients. I got out of my bed, wearing nothing but sweatpants. I opened the door, peaking out to see a head of auburn hair to turn around the corner.

I knew that hair, very well. This was not a good sign, her being with Calum. Especially breaking curfew. I sighed and followed them around the corner, but they disappeared, I was shocked and instantly worried about where they could be. I ran down the hallway, hoping I could find them, I ended up at the top of the stairs, I looked over the banister but I didnt see any sign of them.

I went upstairs to the library, quickly looking around, confirming that she wasnt in there. I exited the library thinking of where they could be. I headed back down the stairs down to the main floor, I heard a voice off to my right, I looked over there and saw nobody. I started walking over to the main room, looking around as I did.

Suddenly I heard feet run up the stairs, I turned around to see a flash of that familiar auburn hair. I sped off up the stairs after her, taking the steps two at a time. I reached her before she could get into her room.

I grabbed her arm and spun her around to see her face puffy and she was crying so hard, no sound was coming out, just tears flowing out of her beautiful green eyes. She had a red mark on the side of her face and when I lifted my and to wipe away her tears, she flinched away from my hand.

"What did he do Avalon?" I spit between my clenched teeth.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said quietly, not meeting my eyes.

"Calum. Avalon, what did Calum do?" I demanded, my voice sounded rough.

"I-- I don't want to t-talk about it Luke. I'm sorry for being out after curfew..." She mumbled, her voice choking a few times, and it made my heart break.

"Come with me." I said, walking in the direction of my room, hearing her footsteps behind me. I opened my door and let her go before me, following her in I closed the door and locked it.

"Avalon, please tell me." I said softly.

"Okay..." She said after a long hesitation. "Calum came to my room and told me to go with him, so I did. We went down to the main room, and he--" she choked, holding back tears.

"What did he do Avalon?" I said, trying to keep my voice calm.

"He kissed me, forced himself on me, and he started t-touching me..." Her face flushed red, her gaze dropping to the floor.

I'm going to kill him.

"I'm so sorry Avalon." I said softy, walking up to her, softly taking her in my arms, holding her close, feeling her arms wrap around me.

"Me too." She whispered.

"What are you sorry for?" I asked.

"Breaking curfew, I shouldnt have gone with him." She said quietly, pressing her forehead against my chest.

"It's okay." I reassured her. "Come lay down, please?" I offered her.

"I-I don't..." She started to say but I knew what she was thinking.

"I can stay on the ground if you'd like." I said.

"Okay..." She said, her voice becoming stronger.

She went over to lay down on my bed, facing me. Her eyes closed a moment later and I thought she had fallen asleep but she surprised me by speaking a minute later.

"Luke?" She asked quietly.

"Yes?" I said.

"Can you come lay with me?" She asked shyly.

"Of course," I got up off the floor and went to lay behind her, I placed my hand on her waist and pulled her closer to me. Her back pressed against my front.

We stayed like that for a few moments until I felt her breathing become steady and even. I pressed my lips to the back of her head and whispered in her hair.

"Goodnight beautiful, sweet dreams. Don't worry about nightmares, I'll be here to fight them off for you."