Chapter Four

The next morning at breakfast, Mr. Hemmings had to leave me for a few moments to take care of some business. I sat alone at the table, taking small bites from my food. I was suddenly surprised when someone sat next to me.

It was the man from the night before, the one who had smiled at me. He sat next to me so casually and confidently, I was embarrassed already.

"Hello there, you're a new patient aren't you? I haven't seen you around before. I would remember seeing someone like you. Oh, that sounded rude, I apologize. All I meant was-- I mean--- What I meant to say was that I remember everyone I meet." The man said in one breath, he was a very talkative one.

I just stared at him, blinking once.

"You don't talk much do you? That's okay, you don't have to talk much, I can do all the talking for the both of us. I can already see us becoming best friends. My name's Calum." He said, holding out his hand. I placed my hand in his, he shook it gently once.

He probably waited for me to say something because there was an awkward silence for a good thirty seconds.

"You don't talk at all do you?" He asked quietly. I shook my head. "That's fine, we can still be best friends, I'll figure out your name eventually." He stood up from the chair, smiling down at me. Without another word he walked away.

I sat there for a moment, unsure of what to do. I wasn't hungry anymore, and Mr. Hemmings wasn't back yet. I looked around the room, I saw there was a piano in the corner of the room. I stood up and made my way over to it, sitting down on the bench. I looked around once before placing my hands on the keys.

I played the beginning chord of a song my mother once taught me. Soon, I was working my way through the song, letting my mind clear and all the thoughts erase.

Before I knew it, by the time I had gotten half way through the song, there was a crowd of patients and nurses standing a few feet away, watching me. At the front of the crowd was Mr. Hemmings, with, surprise, a smile on his face. That man was clearly too happy.

I immediately stopped playing, the rush of thoughts and memories flooding into my mind, bringing all the emotions back with them. I fell apart right there, tears flowing out of my eyes, onto my cheeks and dripping onto my hands.

Mr. Hemmings immediately came to my side, the smile no longer on his face, he grabbed my hands and pulled me to my feet, making a path through the crowd of people. He brought me to my room, sitting me down on the bed.

"Are you alright Ms. Spencer?" He asked, kneeling down so he could look me in the eye.

I shook my head, wiping the tears away from my cheek.

"Is there anything I could do Ms. Spencer?" He asked, his voice shaking slightly.

I looked him straight in the eyes and shook my head.

"Call me Avalon."