5- this feels like falling in love

Settle down with me. Cover me up, cuddle me in. Lie down with me and hold me in your arms...this feels like falling in love.

-

With Calum's dainty little hand fitting snug into his across the restaurant table, Michael can't help but grin.

He's feeling especially protective over Calum tonight, after the incident with Aaron at school. Michael nearly knocked the asshole unconscious, but when he finally pried himself off, Calum had disappeared.

Now, the two we're sitting opposite each other in a booth in a little coffee shop. Michael runs his thumb over Calum's knuckles, trying to figure out what's on his boyfriend's mind.

The tan boy's gaze is set on the table, unblinking. His pretty pink lips are turned down in a frown. Michael doesn't know what's wrong, and he doesn't like it.

"What's wrong, princess?" he asks. The boy blinks, looking up at Michael like--momentarily--he doesn't know where he is.

"Nothing, why would you think that?" Calum asks, but Michael knows that's not true.

"You're just kind of out of it," the taller boy shrugs. "Wanted to make sure you're okay."

Calum offers Michael a grateful grin before sipping on his coffee--some froufrou drink that Michael has never even heard of.

Michael takes his coffee black.

He wonders if Calum is upset over his confrontation with Aaron at school. That would be perfectly understandable--assault is enough to make anyone justly upset. But for some reason, Michael doesn't think that's the case.

After a few seconds of continued silence, Calum finally spills.

"Do you actually want to be in this relationship?"

The question takes Michael by surprise. He agreed to it, didn't he? Why would Calum think otherwise?

"Why wouldn't I?" Michael voices his thoughts.

Calum shrugs, sighing. "I don't know," he admits. "You just don't seem to like Ashton very much, and we all know that Luke is your favorite..."

"Hey," Michael says softly, his tone surprisingly out of character--his boys seem to do that to him. "No favorites, remember? No third wheels, or fourth."

"Yeah, I guess," Calum agrees. "But you still don't like Ashton."

Feeling the heat of embarrassment rising in his cheeks, Michael tries to defend himself against the blatant truth. "Who says I don't like Ashton?"

Calum rolls his eyes.

"You can't just be in this for me and Luke, Mike," Calum insists.

Michael runs a hand over his jaw, nodding. "Yeah, I know, I know," he sighs. "I just need to warm up to him, that's all. Make out a few times or something."

Calum gives his boyfriend a disapproving look, but the two quickly dissolve into giggles, something else that Michael realizes is extremely out of character for himself. He's becoming a softie.

God, does he hope these boys are worth it.

-

After finishing their drinks, Michael and Calum head out of the cafe, hand in hand. Calum is wearing a pretty white sweater with a short black skirt, shivering slightly at the October wind against his bare legs. Michael can't help but sneak glances.

Not sure what to do next on their date, Michael is about to suggest that he take Calum to the strip mall a few minutes away, but Calum beats him at making a suggestion.