Chapter 4

Night has fallen onto the forsaken city and I sneak around unsuspected by anyone. I sniff the air, "Dinner smells so good..." I lick my lips as I stare down the next victim. I would jump and swallow the person whole, but the cop on the corner of the street would notice me even though I am disguised. I take my mask off and put it in my backpack, "Looks like I'm going hungry tonight."

I hear whispers from the people on the streets about my weird presence and my glowing red irises. I look at the person whispering rumors about me and walk over to them. I grab the person by the collar and lift him up in the air, "Whatcha sayin about me punk?" I spit on his shoes and then throw him to the curb. His back up goes in for a punch to my face, but I easily dodge it and then retaliate with a knee to his stomach. They run off scared. After kicking their asses, I take a break by laying down on a bench close by, and I close my eyes for a little bit. A little boy comes running past me and his aroma fills my nose to the rim and I almost spit up with pleasure. "What is this beautiful scent?" Lucifer appears out of nowhere and tells me, "That is the scent of the pure. Purified souls taste better than any other soul and now since you took a sniff of it it won't leave your mind till you have some, so why not take it by force?" My mouth waters as I think about it more and more, "I need some of that meat!" I drastically get up and sprint off towards the little kid. I dig my mask out of my bag and apply it to my face and pull my hood over my head. 

The little kid goes running into a candy store, "You're trapped in there kid." I open the door and walk into the store. The manager sees me and ducks under the counter. The kid walks up to the counter with a bag of candy in his hand, "Sir, I'm here to buy some candy for my mommy. Mommy is still sick and in the hospital ready for treatment for her cancer, but she really wanted some of her favorite candy ." All you could hear is whimpering from behind the counter. The old man jolts up and yells at the kid, "Get out of here why you still can!" Not even batting an eye I stab the old man with the darkness I possess and overpower him. Blood splatters onto the kids shocked face as the man dies before him. I say aloud, "Sorry kid, but you're not gonna make it back to the hospital in one piece at least." The kid freaks out and throws the candy at me and tries bolt it out of the store. I use my darkness to form a tentacle to grab the kid by the ankles but his agile movement allowed him to be safe. He bashes through the exit and enters the night. He rushes to the police station but I quickly follow him behind. He knocks trash cans over to slow me down, but I'm not slow like I used to be. I jump over the fallen trash cans and try to grab him again, but he speeds up and turns the corner as I fall down to the ground. I get up and spin around the corner but to my surprise he is not there. "Damn it! He got away." I back away and go to the bench again and take my mask off and place it inside my backpack. The kid climbs out of the trash can and escapes the scene as he heads for the police station. 

I close my eyes and fall asleep for a moment. Flashes of fresh human meat appear before me as my mouth waters. I try to chase after them, but they get away and I cannot keep up. I watch as the meat leaves from my view and I sob in the corner, "Why must I starve?" Then the little kid enters from the mist and he begins charging at me. He then turns into the Minotaur and his horns ram me through the chest. Everything seems to change from a bright red to a dark grey as my life slips away from me. I gasp for air but nothing comes to me. An earthquake happens and voices whisper, "Hey dude, wake up. Hey man, get off the bench!" I jolt awake and look up to see a lady with a newspaper ready to hit me on top of the head, "Well, are you going to get off the bench or am I going to have to call authority." The sun light burns into my eyes and skin as if I was some kind of vampire. I get off the bench and walk towards a direction. My stomach rumbles throughout the day reminding me of my constant failure at catching that kid. The smell of humans overwhelm me and I begin to cry in the middle of the street, "What is wrong with me?" I turn around to see a beautiful young maiden with dark as the night sky for hair. She smiles at me and asks, "What's wrong mister?" I couldn't believe my eyes. Everything about her is so beautiful I could barely control myself, "What's your name?" She smiles and replies, "I'm Kali, and I know what you need because I'm just like you." I cannot believe her. She knows exactly what I am. That's impossible. She takes me to an alley way and hands me packaged meat as she says, "Here eat this and you will be stable again. Trust me because I'm a Reaper also." Without a second thought I rip through the package and gnaw on the meat as I savor the taste. She giggles, "You were hungry." She hands me a note, "Come to this location and I'll teach you all about our people. Also so you don't ask anymore questions I drugged the meat so you will be knocked out any second now." What?! I begin to freak out but as soon as I do I start feeling woozy and pass out from exhaustion.