(4)

"Not so fast, you two..." Nate and I froze in our tracks and turned around to come face to face with a very angry-looking Magda.

It was the first time we got caught in the week we'd lived at the Van Houten's.

"In the kitchen, now!" She then demanded sternly. With our heads down, we wordlessly did as we were told.

I cringed when I saw Tyler and Owen seated on one side of the table. On Owen's right, the youngest VH bro was looking at us curiously.

They must have been waiting for Magda to serve them because they didn't have any plates in front of them.

Next to me, Nate seemed starstruck by their presence.

To be honest, it was sort of intimidating to be standing in their kitchen, especially when Tyler's gaze scanned my body from head to toes and then back up with a bored expression on his face.

Not that I would ever let them know that, of course!

From what I'd heard, their ego didn't need any extra boost. Not with the semi-god status they'd been granted not only in Rochester but in Brading, too. The two guys were big-headed enough as it was.

I wasn't one of their many fangirls, however, and even though I couldn't deny that they were both ridiculously handsome with their wavy light brown hair, light blue eyes and athletic bodies, right then, I was more worried about Magda's reproachful glare than about those two boys.

Besides, I really didn't know that much about them.

Tyler, who kept his hair in a faux hawk swept to the side would be a Senior this year. He was a gifted football player and liked all sports in general although he didn't want to be an athlete. While being always flanked by his brother and a small group of boys he spent most of his time with, he was said to be a bit of a loner.

How can somebody who's constantly surrounded by his friends be a loner? I wondered as I recalled what I'd heard girls say over the years.

Like me, Owen would be a Junior this year. His hair which he'd styled in a perfect just rolled out of bed way was longer than his brother's, and his features softer.

According to the rumors mill, they'd never had a serious relationship. I guess that was why so many girls were into them. They were all hoping to be the one who'd change that.

It may also have had something to do with the Van Houtens' fortune, of course!

Too bad their concept of a fairy tale involved skimpy girls queuing to please them in dark car parks! I thought with a grimace.

"Don't just stand there!" Magda chided us again. "Sit down!" So we did. "Don't you kids have any manners?!" She went on.

"Hmm... Yeah, sorry..." I mumbled and nudged Nate in the arm so we ended up muttering an unenthusiastic, "Good morning..."

"That's better!" She sighed and started to fill plates with bacon, eggs and pancakes which she placed in front of the three boys facing us.

"Thanks Magda..." The youngest one said shyly. "I'm Leo. What's your name?"

"Nathan..."

"How old are you?" He then asked Nate.

"Twelve." My brother answered in a small voice. "You?"

"Me too..." He said, and the shy smile that appeared on their face filled me with hope.

"Anything either of you don't like in their plates?" Magda asked us after motioning to the three plated on the other side of the table.