(9)

"What don't we know?" Nathan asked.

"That Mom's pregnant..." I answered for them. "Let's get the hell out of here..."

"Do something, Dad..." Tyler grunted.

Christian cleared his throat nervously.

"Right, yes." He readjusted his tie. "Poppy, Nathan, sit down." His tone didn't leave room for argument so we turned around and did as we were told. "Magda, serve them their usual..." He then turned to his cousin. "Bry, this masquerade's lasted for long enough, now. I know you're scared of losing her, but the two of you are hurting those kids..."

"I really didn't know that your Dad had abandoned you..." He told us apologetically.

"You've known for almost two weeks, now..." Christian cut him off authoritatively. "Deal with it!"

"I don't know what to do..." He admitted and I snapped.

"What do you do when you find out that one of your employees hasn't done a job he told you he had weeks before?"

"Your mother is not just an employee, Poppy..." He pointed out.

"Which, in my books, makes her lie even worse!" I argued and he visibly shrank in front of me.

"So what do you suggest I do then?" He asked.

"Go get her and let's sort this out once and for all..." He nodded and left the room.

Magda chose that moment to appear behind us. She placed a plate full of bacon and eggs in front of Nate and handed me a banana. She knew me too well.

"May I speak, Mr. Christian?" She then said. He must have nodded because she went on. "I don't think one discussion will sort everything out, and you know it." Her knowing look made me look downward. "I wouldn't get involved if I wasn't convinced that your mother really does care about the two of you." She pursued. "She may not have called you, but she called me twice to check on you. She's the reason I stopped you from running off that day..."

I frowned.

"Are you making all that up, Magda?" Nathan asked her with deep lines etched on his forehead.

She laughed.

"No, Mister Nathan, I am not lying..." She replied.

"She called me, too..." Tyler said.

"What for?" I asked, surprised.

"She called the school yesterday morning and somebody told her how students had been treating you..." He explained.

"What do you mean, Tyler?!" Nathan exclaimed.

"Don't worry about it Nate..." I cut him off. "What did she tell you?"

"She basically demanded I deal with it stat..." He mumbled.

"Did you tell her it was my fault because I refused to tell people about our new situation?" I enquired.

"No, Poppy. I didn't tell her about her firecracker of a daughter who's so damn proud that she keeps refusing help..." His affectionate smile reminded me of his goodnight kiss and I reached for the spot on my forehead absent-mindedly.

"Just freaking tell me what's been going on at school!" Nathan sounded exasperated.

"They are scared I'll forget I don't belong there if they don't throw it in my face every second, but I honestly don't care about any of it..." I answered. "They are not violent or anything and what they say goes from here..." I pointed to my left ear. "To there..." I finished, pointing to the right one.