Chapter 14: Home

Astrid's POV

We touched down on the island we called home, surrounded by many of the villagers and our friends, all eager to welcome us home.

Wide grins spread across our faces as we slid off our respective dragons and greeted the many people we hadn't seen for the past week. After exchanging quick hugs with both friends and family, Hiccup and I laced our fingers together, making sure to stay close to one another.

Our 10 day honeymoon had done wonders for us. We were all in all more sure of ourselves, we trusted each other more and we realized how utterly lost we would both be without the other at our side.

"We're so happy to have you back! How was the honeymoon?" Valka asked, looking between the both of us as she probably noticed the loving glances we cast the other's way every minute or so.

"It was great! Absolutely amazing ..." Hiccup trailed off with a soft smile as our eyes met and I could feel my heart racing in my chest. Gods, how I hoped we would stay this way forever.

"Amazing, huh?" Ruffnut asked suggestively as her brother joined in on the fun.

"Judging by your glances it sure was!" Tuffnut snickered as he and Ruffnut shared a triumphant high-five.

"I suggest you stop that immediately, Tuff, unless you want to judge a much a pretty bruise on your face." I narrowed my eyes at Tuffnut as I could see my threat taking effect on him.

"Well," Gobber began as he placed a hand on Hiccup's shoulder. "We should probably give you lads some time to pack out, eh?"

Hiccup and I exchanged another glance before he nodded in response. "Yeah, we probably should. Thanks to all of you for coming to welcome us back!"

As we began unloading our baskets from our dragons, the crowd quickly dispersed, leaving only the two of us to fend for ourselves as we carried our luggage inside our home.

After we had finally brought all our baskets upstairs and the dragons had disappeared to Thor knows where, I threw myself down on the bed with a loud sigh.

"You okay, babe?" Hiccup asked with a chuckle as he began unpacking one of his baskets.

I shrugged. "I'm just really tired, you know? First from the flying, then from having the whole village in our faces."

Another chuckle escaped Hiccup. "Well, it's something you've got to get used to, sorry."

"Yeah, I guess so," I sighed, yet again. "How are you feeling, babe?"

Hiccup shrugged as he turned towards me, leaning back against the large basket. "I don't know, fine I suppose?"

I sat up on my elbows and raised a brow at him. "How?"

"I mean, I have been doing this Chief thing for a little while now, so I suppose I've just gotten used to being overwhelmed by crowds and such." He turned back to the basket and continued emptying it.

"Let's just hope I'll get used to it too, someday," I rubbed my forehead as I fell back onto the bed. "But today is not that day, today I'm deciding to take a nap, and there is nothing in this world that will stop me."

Hiccup chuckled. "Very well then, sleep tight."

"Thanks." I yawned as my eyes slowly fluttered shut and I drifted off to sleep.

I was soaked, not in water, but in blood. My face was dripping crimson as I stomped across the bloodied sand, where dozens of corpses were scattered all over as sounds of battle came from all around me.

A loud cry came from behind me, and in my rage I quickly spun around and neatly sliced my attackers throat, adding fresh blood both to the blade of my axe and to my face.

I was going to kill him. I was going to slaughter that man, no matter what.

I could see him on the other side of the battlefield. I could see the fire that surrounded him, and I could feel in my bones that he, this man, he was the enemy, the enemy I was so very eager to wipe off the face of the earth.

I raised my axe to charge at him, but was cut off by a piercing pain rippling through my back as I fell to the ground with a loud groan, followed by an audible thud as my face met the cold sand.

I sucked in a breath as I shot up into a sitting position in the bed. Beads of sweat were slowly rolling down my temples as I panted heavily, completely on edge after my little nightmare.

"Astrid? Are you alright?" Hiccup asked with a yawn as he sat up beside me as well, concern written all over his face.

I took a deep breath before closing my eyes for a brief second. When I reopened them, I found that I was still in the room I had fallen asleep in earlier that day, only difference being that I had a change of clothes and had mysteriously made my way to the pillow and gotten under the furs with Hiccup right beside me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It ... it was nothing." I tried to reassure him, but I couldn't bring myself to meet his eyes.

"Astrid, I'm not falling for that. Now please, tell me what's bothering you." He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear before stroking my cheek and gazing into my eyes.

I furrowed my brows and shook my head. "I just had a nightmare, it is really nothing to worry about, Hiccup."

But my husband being the stubborn boar he is, didn't listen and instead wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "What was it about?"

I glared at him for a moment before giving in. "Fine. There was blood, lots of it. And corpses as well. Then there was this one man, and I could just feel that he was no good ... that he was the enemy. And just as I was about to attack the guy, I fell to the ground, in a lot of pain ... that's really all there is to it."

He nodded as he buried his nose in my hair. "Don't worry, babe, I won't let anything happen to you, as long as there is air in my lungs."

I smiled into his chest and wrapped my arms around him as well. "As long as there is air in my lungs."