Chapter 30: Goodbye

Hiccup's POV

I was clinging onto the bow in my hand for dear life as I struggled to stand. My knees grew weak as I watched Gobber and my mother drape a white sheet over Astrid's body. My heart was aching and my mind was numb, I could no longer think straight.

After placing Astrid's axe atop her sheathed body, my mother and Gobber were helped by the twins, Snotlout and Fishlegs in pushing the ship out to sea. I watched as the wooden ship slowly glided through the water, eventually slowing down as it silently bobbed up and down atop the calm waves.

"Today, we have lost many people that we held dear. These brave men and women died for the safety of their island and their loved ones, and their sacrifice shall forever be remembered by the ones they left behind. May Valhalla take you in with open arms as you are all welcomed to sit at the table of great warriors, where they shall sing your names with pride and glory." Gobber gestured for the remaining boats to be pushed out on the water as Grump lit the fire beside him. I exchanged a look with him as he nodded for me to start.

I took a deep breath as I watched Astrid's ship bobbing up and down in the water. That was it, I was going to say goodbye to the physical form of my wife. I glanced over at Toothless and Stormfly, who were sitting next to me, eyeing Astrid's ship as they waited to see what would happen next. I turned to my side where found all my friends and my mother shooting me encouraging smiles as they picked up their bows.

"Words can't begin to describe the pain I'm feeling in this moment. Today, I have not only lost brave soldiers and dragons, I have also lost my general, I have lost my wife. Astrid has been there for me since day one. She accepted me when no one else would, she cared for me when no one else would and she encouraged and inspired me whenever I was feeling low. Throughout our life together, we've had many ups and downs, but somehow, we've always made it through them. This will be the first tragedy I will have to face on my own, without my confidante, my partner, my best friend, my soulmate.

Astrid was and always will be the only person for me. There is no other being on this earth I'd rather spend the rest of my days with. Though the thought of saying goodbye to the love of my life pains me more than words could ever say, it is something I must do, which is why I want to end with thanking you Astrid, for everything. Thank you for the laughter, thank you for the tears. Thank you for your support, thank you for your endless love. I shall always remember you, my love, my life." I plucked an arrow out of the quiver Gobber had placed beside me as sniffling and muffled sobs escaped the surrounding crowd yet again. I carefully lowered the tip of my arrow into the flames, lighting it on fire as I raised the bow and the burning arrow, with everyone around me following suit.

With a tear rolling down the side of my face, I drew the arrow back, right before releasing it and watching it fly in a near perfect arch over to Astrid's ship, where it landed on the deck, flames eating away at the wood as a hundred others like it landed all over and helped set the ship ablaze.

A weak cry escaped Stormfly as the flames of her beloved rider's ship were reflected in her large, yellow eyes. The dragon shot a single spine at the ship, watching it sink beneath the waves along with the body of her rider.

With tear stained cheeks and furrowed brows, I glanced over at Stormfly and Toothless, whose heads were both hung low as they mourned the loss of their friend. Even the dragons were affected by the loss of Astrid.

A hand landed on my shoulder, which instantly caught my attention and caused me to turn my head towards the person beside me. The warm and gentle smile of my mother met me as I turned and I shot her a weak smile in response. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders as she pulled me close. "You are not alone, Hiccup. I'm here, your friends are here, your dragon is here, never forget that, son."

I shook my head slowly as the dying fire of Astrid's ship painted the grey beach a fiery orange and yellow, along with the faces of the many Berkians that had gathered there. "I won't."

My mother gave my shoulder a light squeeze as she stepped back. The empty space beside me was quickly filled by none other than Snotlout, Fishlegs and the twins, who all watched the burning mast of the ship with me.

"We're so sorry, Hiccup." Snotlout sniffled, sounding more genuine and truthful than I had ever heard him before. Fishlegs and the twins nodded in agreement.

I shook my head, eyes still locked on the burning remainders of the ship. "You've got nothing to be sorry for, this is none of your fault."

"We know that, we're just sorry you had to lose Astrid, we all know how much she meant to you, because we know how much she meant to us." Fishlegs admitted, wiping a tear as he shot me a warm smile.

"Thanks, you guys, it means a lot." I shot them all the best smile I could give, which wasn't much.

A hand landed on my shoulder once again, and I turned to see Ruffnut beside me, who was smiling a genuine, and non-scary smile for once. "We're here for you Hiccup, we miss her almost as much as you."

"Yeah, like who's going to keep us in check on our missions now?" Tuffnut blurted, which earned him the glares of everyone but me, who couldn't help but chuckle at his comment. Inappropriate timing or not, I was happy that Tuffnut could still ease the tension, even in a moment as dark as that one.

I sighed, shrugging as I crossed my arms. "I have no clue, Tuffnut, no clue at all."