III

Morgan Pov

To say I was confused would be an understatement.

I was so stunned by my mate's behavior that I couldn't even move from my spot on the bed.

He took one good look at me before he turned and left me. Normally when mates meet each other for the first time, they can't keep their hands off each other. Even if they can, they at least introduce themselves.

It took everything in me to keep myself from crying. Part of me was furious at my mate for leaving without so much as saying a word to me. The other part wondered what was so wrong with me that he couldn't even stand to be in the same room with me for more than a total of ten seconds.

Frustrated and hurt, I sat up in bed trying to ignore the negative thoughts that entered my head. Luckily, I wouldn't have to be alone with my negativity for long. The door began to open and I couldn't help but hope that it was my mate returning to explain himself to me. He wasn't the one who walked back through the door.

The young man who entered through the doorway greeted me almost immediately. "Hello, Miss. I'm Lance, the beta of this pack. Do you remember your name?"

"It's Morgan."

"So you don't have amnesia?"

"No."

I realize that I had been severely injured in the attack, but I didn't quite understand why he would assume that I lost my memory. He looked as if he was trying to piece something together in his head and it was impossible to guess what he was thinking.

"The man who showed up in here earlier, did you say anything that might've upset him?"

"No. We didn't talk to each other." I told him honestly.

"You mean neither of you spoke to each other at all?"

"Correct."

Lance seemed genuinely confused by the brief interaction I had with the man who came to my room. It made me feel better to know that I wasn't the only one thinking that it was odd behavior.

"Interesting. Anyway, that man is the alpha of our pack. His name is Calum Barrens. I'm sorry for his abrupt departure, he had very pressing work to attend to. Normally, he is much more welcoming to our guests."

It was obvious that Lance was only trying to cover for Calum. I had a feeling that Lance didn't know why Calum had left so suddenly. I was the only one who knew that the reason he left was because he didn't want me as his mate.

I didn't feel comfortable telling Lance that I was his alpha's mate. It wouldn't even matter once Calum rejected me. Though my mate didn't want me, it was no surprise that my mate turned out to be an alpha. I was in fact an alpha's daughter.

With that thought, another one occurred to me.

Oh no.

"Where's Lilian?" I demanded.

"Who?"

"The baby that was with me. Is she alright?"

The room began to close in around me and I felt so hot that I began to sweat. If I wasn't able to protect my niece, I would never forgive myself. As I started to struggle breathing, Lance put his hand over mine to calm me.

"Relax. She's perfectly fine. We kept her at the nursery while you took time to recover here. I promise you that she's safe."

"Thank you. When can I see her?"

"I talked with the doctor and she said you're free to leave the infirmary so long as you don't do any strenuous activities. If you're fine with that, I can show you to your room." Lance told me.

"My room?"

"Yes. We have one set up for you and Lilian to stay in while you're here."

"We can't go home?"

"I'm sorry. I have orders to have you stay in a guest room on bed rest." Orders. That meant my mate told him to find me a room. He doesn't want me, but he doesn't want me to leave either. "I don't think your body is quite ready for travel yet. When you are fully healed, I can discuss arranging to get you home with the alpha."

He could discuss it with the alpha all he wants, but I'm a prisoner now. Most likely, I'll never be let out to go home ever again. If there even is a home left for me. My pack is strong, but rogues were foul creatures. For all I knew, my pack had been completely destroyed as a result of the attack.

It hurt to think that I might never see my family again. Most of all, I wanted Lilian to be able to see her parents again.

"I'd like to see Lilian and go to our new room now."

"Of course. Here are some clothes for you to change into. I'll be right outside the door to take you there when you're ready."

True to his word, Lance left me alone to get dressed in the simple tshirt and shorts laid out for me. Together we walked to the nursery and found Lilian in the arms of a sweet woman around the same age as me named Ashlyn.

"Thank you for taking care of her." I said whilst taking Lilian in my arms.

"No problem. She is such a sweetheart and a total cutie. You two look a lot alike with the same nose and eyes. I can tell she's going to be just as stunning as you when she grows up." Ashlyn told me.

"Thanks."

I flushed with the unexpected compliment. It was true that Lilian and I looked very similar. She got a few of the traits that Leo and I shared together from our mother.

Lance then led me to the guest room Lilian and I would be staying in. I was glad to see that it was a very spacious room. It was decorated in light shades of cream and it even had a crib ready for Lilian to sleep in.

"There are movies and books if you get bored and a few sets of clothes in the closet for you to wear. If you need anything at all, there will be a guard posted at your door and he will make sure you get what you need. Food will be brought to you for every meal time and maids may come in at times to clean or replace necessities." Lance explained.

"So I really can't leave this room?" I sat on the bed distraught.

"I'm afraid not. It should only be temporary, I will try to talk the alpha into letting you home soon. Will you be alright?"

"I'll be fine. You can go now."

Lance left me without any dispute. Part of me wanted to be alone. I was going to have to get used to it eventually now that I was trapped in this fancy prison. At least the bed was comfortable.