Chapter 2: Friend or Foe?

Jez wakes up in the hospital. Her blood count was dangerously low, and she is frightened to tell anyone what truly happened. All she could think of was a desperate need to talk to Delos, who was in a chair asleep beside the bed. Grace was standing by the window, looking at the rain. The door slowly opens, revealing a male doctor; she pretends she is still sleeping as Delos sits up in the chair and Grace turns around, curious of what the doctor is going to say. "How is she?" They both asked at the same time. The male doctor looked at him and says, "Not good I'm afraid. Drake took a good bit of her blood. But what I don't understand is how she was capable of living through it?" Delos had to pause a moment. Grace answered instead, "You can't see it. Can't you?" The doctor looked at her and responded, "See what exactly?" Grace paused. "Look inside her blood. You can't tell me that you don't see the power she possesses." The doctor looked at Jez, back to Grace, to Delos, then back to Jez. Without taking his gaze off the girl in the bed, he responded, "She is the one. Isn't she? The one she has lived through it all. The only one left alive. She is the-" Grace cut him off, "Don't say it! She may be asleep, but her mind will take in everything you say. This is the thing she needs to figure out herself." Delos had known that the doctor was an old friend. One like him, a shape shifter. But he wasn't quite sure whether or not to trust him with the secret he knew Jez now knows. But he finally realized he could trust him and he stated, "She saw my true form. As a wolf. He came to kill her because she is now the only living human that knows the forms that are meant to be just myths. I had to force my body to change so I could fight him off and save her. After Drake left, I was able to take care of her. But the bleeding and the venom were spreading too fast for me to stop it alone. And you were the only one I could think of that was able to help and willing to help me keep her safe. I know you better than I know the others. That's why I am able trust you. You have never given me a reason not to put my faith in you." Jez heard someone call the doctor Shadow. She thought to herself, He must be another werewolf. I'm not sure if I should be fearful again, or just play along. She decided to play along and listen for more details. Grace Said to Shadow, "But she is not human!" Shadow wasn't paying any attention to her though. He looked shocked and confused, "how did you manage to force your change? That is almost impossible to do it. There is only a few of the elders that have that ability. That shows great power to come. You might be the missing link to-" Delos cut him off, "don't say that. You know as well as I do that I don't want that. I want to be just a normal person. A life that doesn't have to rely on my powers, and inflicting pain. I just want to give Jez a stable life that she can live in without fear." Shadow looked at her then looked back at Delos, "I understand what you want. I truly do. You want a normal life. That's impossible for people like us. We are not normal. And abnormal people live abnormal lives. You just have to face it. But Jez knows our secret now. You do know what that means." The look he gave Shadow was pain and agony. "I don't want her to be one of us. She is too gentle, kind, and non-violent. If she becomes one of us, she will get herself killed. I will do whatever it takes to protect her.

Grace started to get frustrated. "She will notbe turned. I will make sure of that. I promise. And I have more stealth thanyou wolves. No offence. But Delos, you may be her soul mate, but I am her bestfriend. I can help you. And I will. I promised her when we were little that Iwould always protect her." Shadow nodded in agreement and offered to help aswell. He knew they had the guts and cunning to do this and he wanted to helpprotect the one person Delos loved the most. And then, he left the room.