Chapter 2

I woke up in a hospital bed. I tried to move, but I couldn't. My hands and feet were tied to the bed.

"Why are my hands and feet tied?" I asked myself.

"Before you were unconscious, you started to freak out and you were trying to fight the nurses in the ambulance. You broke one of their noses, blacked on of their eyes, and shoved a needle into Marco's leg." Casey said, standing up to walk over to me.

"Why?" I asked, wanting to cry.

"Don't ask me. What happened last night? Why were you hyperventilating?" Casey seemed more angry than upset and scared.

"Nothing. It doesn't even matter anymore." I said, crying.

Casey sat next to me on the bed. He put his hand on top of mine.

"What happened Kayla." He said more calmly than he felt.

Kayla explained everything that had happened the past three days when their parents left.

"Wow. I, I don't know what to say." He stuttered.

"It's fine. Just, don't say anything then." I said, falling back to sleep.

I woke up maybe two hours later, freezing. I tried to move my arms, and they were still tied.

"They think you're mental, stop moving." I heard a voice say, angry and upset.

I look to see that it was Gabe. He was crying earlier, I could tell by his puffy red face.

He walked over to my bed and looked at my wrists and legs to make sure I wasn't cut.

"What happened when I left? I came back to see an ambulance at your house and I freaked out. I thought I was going to lose you." He said, crying.

I told him that I hyperventilated and I thought I was going to lose him.

He crawled next to me on the bed. He kissed my lips softly and told me I would never lose him.

"But, aren't you mad at me?" I asked, still crying.

"No. I'm not mad, just hurt."

"I don't know why I kissed him back. I just, I just..."

"Shhhhh. Don't say anything. It's fine. I forgive you."

We sat in silence for a little while. Then Gabe had to leave so I could rest. The next day did not go so well.

I woke up crying. I had just remembered what had happened with Carmen. The whole thing. That whole night. It was terrible. The nurse came in and asked what was wrong. I told her what had happened, the same way I told Casey. The nurse untied me and pulled me up from the bed. She hugged me tightly. I started to cry in her arms. She held me tighter, letting me cry.

When my tears would no longer come down. I had to try to calm down. I was crying for maybe half an hour. I had a really bad headache. I looked around the room to find Marco, Casey, Gabe, and Uncle in chairs. I guess I didn't hear them over my sobs and couldn't see them through my tears. When I started to breathe normally, I could see without any blurriness. I sat down back in the hospital bed.

"When can I go home?" I asked, louder than I meant to.

Everyone looked at me like I was stupid or something.

"You can go home right now if you want to." The nurse said. "If not, you will be moved to a different room where you will be safe from anymore situations like what happened yesterday."

"I want to..." I stopped.

I looked at Gabe. If I stayed, would he still come see me. Would we still be together? I looked at Casey. He needs me. He needs me to help him with homework and everyday life stuff. I can't leave him behind, we're twins; and you never leave a twin behind. I looked at Uncle. I would never be able to help him get around. He isn't allowed to drive for another month. What if Mom and Dad aren't here and Casey is sick, and Uncle needs something. I can't make him walk to go get it. I then looked at Marco, who smiled at me. I smiled back. I promised him I would go to the dance. I have been best friends with him all my life. I can't stay and hurt him like this. I can't stay and hurt ANY of them. It isn't right for me to do that. I don't know what happened next, except everyone started freaking out. I never finished my sentence. I never told them my answer.