Goodbye, Chaya.

"Schenell!" All the officers around me were yelling to us. I had learned that this word meant  "quickly", so I ran to catch up with the other girls. 

"What's going on Eliana? I'm scared." Chaya said to me inline. The women had formed one straight line, and Chaya was whispering to me, because she was scared the officers would hear her. The camp looked empty, except for the officers who stood among us. Near by us were the men; who had  already formed their two straight lines. One of the lines seemed to be the older men or ones who were sick, and the second line were young, strong men.

Before we had a chance to move, the officers came around us. They looked at our eyes, arm numbers, bodies, and rib cages before they either pushed us to the left or the right line. Because Chaya and I were at the back of the line, we watched who was being put in what line. Our lines were similar to the mens', the sick women, older women and small children were in the first line, the the second line had mainly strong women or teenagers.

When it was Chaya's turn, the officer looked at her, and called another officer over. Then, both officers started grabbing her and pulling at her everywhere. When he looked at her rib cage and saw a large, black knot, they put her in the first line. I remembered how she got that mark; she had been pushed on the playground when we were young, but it was nothing serious. When it was my turn, the officer smiled at me and put me in the second line.

When the last woman was checked, the officers went back to the front of the line and led the first group of men and women away.  When the first line started to leave, everyone was crying and clutching to their loved one in the opposite line. The small children were crying and clinging to each other. The women in my line were all hysterical; crying and screaming for mercy from the officers who had started shooting the reckless villagers. I was holding Chaya's hand, and telling her how great of a friend she was to me and I will never forget her. Before I let her hand go, I told her I loved her and that would see her soon.

Somehow we all knew that the people in the first line were going to die, and we would never see them again.