Home again

"What do you mean that's not enough? It's all I have! You can't be serious. Look, that's a large sum. You could buy a whole lot with that. Please. Okay. Thank you. I'll send someone from the Village to you with it. Yes sir. Goodbye."

I watched Aaron slam the phone into the box, and drop the floor. He held his face in his hands and began to sob. I wanted to go comfort him, but I was supposed to be in bed.

"Why? What did she do?" Aaron said, tilting his face toward the ceiling. Tears were streaming down his face. He tried to whip them away, but more filled their place.

"Elaina!" He yelled, standing to the floor. I walked forward and took him by surprise and just hugged him.

"I talked to the officers. They want more then what we are providing. They're going to let it slide for now, but in a few weeks I have to send a little more. Then we can be free to go home. I'm sorry." Aaron said, stroking my hair.

"It's okay." I said, holding him tighter. He was crying to hard he was shaking.

"I'm going to go help the men out there work. If we work for two weeks, we will have enough. Can you help the women?" He asked me, awaiting my reply.

"Of course." I said. He kissed my temple, and walked out the door.

**Weeks later**

After several weeks of Aaron working with rebuilding the Village and me cooking and cleaning all day, we finally earned enough money. After many sleepless nights, it was finally done.

"We did it!" He said, lifting me in the air and holding me close.

"You know, I'm really liking this Village. The people here are so friendly." I said, smiling at him.

"Me too. We're going to keep in touch with them." He said, setting on back on the ground.

We left that night after giving Hannah the bag to send to the camp. It only took three days to get to our destination. In front of me was a big, beautiful house. The yard was full of flowers, and I realized we were on the side of the town where we used to live.

"Was this your house?" I asked him, admiring the handy work.

"My mothers, actually. I told you we would get home!"

The whole town was so quiet it was almost eary. No one was here.

"Can we go by my house?" I asked him, tugging on our entwined fingers. He nodded, so we walked down my little road. We walked in the door together, and I let go of him.

"I need to do this alone." I said, walking toward my door. He understood, and walked away. I opened my door, and looked around at how bare it looked. Our house had been searched, looted for anything valuable. I went to my bed, and pulled out the box under my bed. Untouched.

Slowly I lifted the lid, and looked at all our valuables. My mother's wedding bands, her wedding dress, our small photographs, some money, and the rest of her jewelry. I sprayed a dab of her perfume, and lifted the box onto my bed. I pulled out the rest of my dresses from my closet, and the one pair of shoes the Nazi's didn't take.

"On to mother's room." I said. I opened her door, and put the rest of her belongings in my box. A photo of her and my father, a small plate made of porcelain, and a piece of paper she had wrote a poem on when she was younger.

"Ready to go?" I asked, walking out the door. 

"We should tell the Village to come live here." I said, remembering how crowded they were.

And within days, Aaron took my idea and transformed it. The town was alive again, and I was happy.