The Village

"How much longer?" I asked, quickening my pace to keep up with Aaron. After hours of walking, I thought my legs might fall off. He had been silent most of the way.

"I don't know. Twenty, thirty miles." His voice was cold.

"But.. I'm really tired. Please.. Can we take a break?" I begged, hoping for a yes.

"We have to keep moving! What part of that do you not understand?! Do you want to end up like the others?!" He yelled, turning to face me. Without warning, tears began to fall. His voice was so harsh; it was nothing like it was yesterday.

"Oh man.. Eliana, come here. I didn't mean that." He said, holding me close. 

**FLASHBACK**

"Look, its Eliana." A school boy said, pointing at me from the distance. Aaron was standing next to him, staring at me.

"What do you guys want?" I asked, twirling my hair in my fingers.

"Nothing. We're just trying to figure out what you are! You look like a man." The boy said, elbowing Aaron.

"Yeah! You sure are ugly." Aaron agreed, shaking his head.

"Why don't you boys just go on home?" I asked, walking away from them. The market place was only a couple miles from my house.

"Why don't you go hide in your house like you always do. If you really wanted boys to like you, you would stop being such a hermit!" The boy yelled, laughing. Being the sensitive girl I am, I started to cry.

"I'm going home. Meet you there in a little bit." The boy said to Aaron, sticking his tongue out at me and retreated.

"Eliana, come here." Aaron said, walking towards me.

"No. I'm going home.." I said, trying to stop crying. Instead, he stepped in front of me and pulled me in for a hug.

"I didn't mean what I said, I promise! I was just being stupid.. I'm sorry." He said, stroking the side of my head.

"It's okay." I said, pulling away. I had a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach, so I thought it was because I was sick. My heart was fluttering.

"You are beautiful, Eliana." He said, making my cheeks turn pink with his words and the gently kiss goodbye he planted on my hand.

**PRESENT DAY**

"Let's set up camp here." He said, setting down our supplies on a large rock. He made a small fire, and cooked a little bit of our meat. I guess it was around lunch time now.

"So what's the plan?" I asked, chewing a small piece of meat.

"Well, after we eat and rest, we need to keep going forward. I know a lady who lives near here; in the town. She lives about two hours from here. She agreed to keep us safe until we can return home. After I pay off the Nazi Officers, we will be free to go." He said, matter-of-factly.

"If we have to pay them, why are we running from them?" I asked.

"Because at this point, they want us dead. But I know these guys, and they are crooked. When we get to town, I can call him and pay them off. They'll tell the "big man" we died. No problems."

After eating, we continued to walk. Time flew by, and before I knew it, it was night fall, and a small village was in sight.

"AARON!" A lady called, waving her hands like a mad women. We trotted over to here, and I watched Aaron embrace this women She was very plump, and looked middle aged. She had a kind smile, and I knew instantly I could trust her.

"This is Eliana." 

"Nice to meet you. Aaron has told me so much about you in letters. Although you are much prettier than what he described." She declared, causing Aaron to blush.

"Come inside! You two look exhausted. Let's eat supper together, and you can freshen up!" She said, taking us by the arm and leading us into her house. It was small like mine, and very clean. After eating, we both washed up and went to bed.

"Aaron.." I whispered, flipping to face him.

"What is it..?" He asked, yawning.

"What ever happened to my family and friends?" I asked him.

"Well, Chaya was gassed on the first day. As far as your mother.. The same for her. I tried to help her, but I couldn't. I'm sorry. I saw you in the camp, and watched out for you. I was planning for us to leave since your arrival. I told the other officers not to mess with you, and told them you were mine, so that's why they spared you. Several had their eye on you when you got here. As far as your "friend" Sylvia, she was the first girl out of camp. As far as I know, the officers attacked her, and shot her in the woods."

"So.. We're the only ones left?" I asked, shaking.

"I believe so." He said, pulling me closer to him, allowing me to ruin his bed shirt with my tears.