The great escape.

"No, please. Please let me go!" I pleaded to the officer who was holding onto my shoulder.

"Why should I let you go, your nothing but a dirty, rotten Jew!" The Nazi yelled in his thick accent.

The scene around us was horrific. I had never seen such chaos in my life. Bodies around the camp were completely destroyed, with fire raging around the camp site to try to quickly burn them.

"Because, I'm just a girl. What am I guilty of? Being born with a Jewish mother and father? I have committed no crime here, I am the victim of this horrid war. I'm begging you! Please let me have a chance to live my life!"  I begged him, afraid to face my final moments here. I had made it alive for so long.

"Come with me." He said, smiling. I followed behind him with my head held low. The camp was starting to calm down, with mostly officers left.

"Nazi 137, there's nearly 120,000 Jews dead. " A lower officer said to him.

"No return?" He asked, as if it were casual talk. 

"What do you mean by no return?" I said, trying not to sound bitter or rude.

He lifted up his gun, and aimed at a Jew laying on the ground, slowly dying. When he pulled the trigger, the Jew let out a sigh, an oddly peaceful sigh.

"That is no return. Except the officers won't be so kind to them. I spared that boy three hours of pain." He said, looking me dead in the eye.

"Why did you help him?" ,

"The same reason I'm helping you." He said, leading me to the door leading to the gas chambers.