Part VII.

Carls POV

After being reunited with my girl again and finding out that Judith was safe and sound we had begun our trek further into the woods. Eugene had announced in the boxcar that he knew a cure for this hell, but the only way for it to work is if we lead the mullet-wielding man to Washington.

There was something off about Eugene; maybe I didn't believe there was a cure or maybe it was just the fact that his vocabulary was quite extensive, but I decided to shrug it off and take in my surroundings.

(Y/N) was walking rather close to me like she feared something was gonna jump out and take her from me. Her cool hand was secure in mine and her other was firmly grasping her pistol. The occasional glances she shot up at me for reassurance caused my heart to flutter, but it was the last look she gave that concerned me.

(Y/N) immediately stopped in her tracks and tuned in on an older man screaming, she quickly removed herself from me and beelined to the sound of the terrified voice; members of our group groaned in frustration and looked to me for some sort of explanation, but I only shrugged and followed after her.

"Help! Somebody help!" A preacher perched upon a boulder began to shout; (Y/N) taking out the few walkers attempting to make him their dinner. We followed her actions until the area was cleared and the preacher slowly made his way down, puke flooded from the man's mouth while he took in the sight of the walkers.

"Oh c'mon this can't be the first time you're seeing them." (Y/N) states while pointing to the walkers. The preacher quickly looked to her and shook his head no.

"Not my first, I should thank you for helping me, though. Um, my name's Gabriel." The preacher announced out and extended his arm for (Y/N), but she quickly turned down the friendly gesture and looked to my dad. My dad sported a baffled look and quickly moved on to patting the priest down.

Nothing.

"No weapons. Why didn't you kill them? The walkers." My father questioned and Gabriel shot him a sympathetic look before adjusting the sleeves of his ebony shirt. "I don't need weapons, the word of god is the only protection I need."

Gabriel's statement causes the group to scoff as Daryl speaks up from the back. "Sure didn't look like it."

"Well, I called for help and god answered with your arrival, do you guys have any food?" Gabriel questioned and I reached into my pocket pulling out a few dirtied pecans. Judith fussing while I handed them over. "Guess she wants them all to herself," I added with a chuckle.

"She's a beautiful child. Do you guys by chance have a camp?"

"No, do you?" My father quickly answered with and the priest nodded his head 'yes'. (Y/N) found her way back over to my side while my father asked a few more questions. Her small hands took little Judy from me as she gave her a warm smile and bounced her in her arms.

It was a sight to see, my amazing little sister and the girl I loved together. It warmed me on the inside, but she returned her when my dad announced we were following this god loving man. I didn't a hundred percent agree with his choice, but we willingly followed behind our ringleader, the cool Georgia winds kissing our face and the sound of absolute nothingness filling our ears till the silence was broken.

"So, Gabriel, how many walkers have you killed." My father begins.

"None, actually." The priest looked back and shot us all a half smile. I was shocked, to say the least. A year in the apocalypse and he hasn't had to kill one?

"How many people have you killed?"

The priest hesitated on this question and locked his eyes on the crisp copper leaves that coated the forest floor till he found words. "None."