Chapter 3: Enter Flux Buddies

*BOOM*

-"SHITSHITSHITSHIT HEEELLLLPP KKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMM!"

"Oh dear God," Kim groaned flatly. "WHAT?!" She screamed across the compound. "I WAS MESSING WITH THE CHAINSAW I MADE AND I EXPLODED THE CHOCOBO PEN ON ACCIDENT!" Lalna's, or Duncan's voice echoed back. Kim hurried over to the Lucky Egg Chocobo pen and found him panicking over a large crater. "Oh, Jesus wept, Duncan! Are any of the chocobos left?" she berated, her tiny frame made up for by far by the anger in her voice. "Um," Duncan managed. Kim threw her head up to the sky in exasperation, as if hoping Thor could lightning Lal to smithereens. "Well, that's another tally on the Dead Pets board for me, then, isn't it? What did you learn?" she said in the most teachery voice she could. "Not to play with chainsaws near the pets," Lalna replied gloomily.

They spent the next few hours repairing the pen and recatching the chocobos for the fifth time that month. Just as Nano (Kim) placed the last fence down, a blonde girl with a ponytail wearing a green hoodie, a white T-shirt with a teeny purple flower pattern, and faded jeans appeared. It was Duncan's girlfriend, Charlie. 

"Hey, Nano! Erm, I was supposed to meet Lalna? For our date? But, I mean, if this isn't a good time - " she couldn't finish the sentence, as Lalna had snuck up behind her to surprise her with a bear hug. "It's a great time, love! Hello!" he exclaimed, his chin resting on her shoulder. It was a miracle he didn't bite his tongue, especially since he was 6 foot, significantly taller than his significant other. (A/N: See what I did there? I'm so punny. Also, if someone could draw Duncan bear-hugging Charlie, my day would be made. Charlie is actually his gf irl, look it up!)

"Have fun! See you for girls' night, right, Charlie?" The blonde nodded, her long ponytail swinging about. Charlie giggled as she took Duncan's hand and ran off towards the woods with him. Kim knew they had a special place they liked to picnic for their dates. It made sense they liked picnics, they were both down-to-earth people, what with Charlie being a veterinarian and, well, Lalna actually surprised people with his down-to-earthiness, he was a mad scientist. But then, everyone here sort of gave the finger to definition. No, not sort of. Definitely. Everyone here gave definition the finger while laughing maniacally.  And simultaneously nuking everything. 

 Kim and Lalna made an unlikely pair, at least with appearances. Duncan was most comfortable  in his purple T-shirt, jeans, and of course, his lab coat. His only pair of shoes, as far as Nano could tell, were his black tennis shoes with neon pink and green laces. Whereas, she, a small Malaysian girl who barely made 5 foot, had long wavy dark hair, which was almost always had two topknots on top of her head adorned with a red flower hairpin on either side. The hairpins more often than not had two strands of pearls on each one, but those often got in her face, so she was slowly stopping wearing them. She switched in and out of a traditional red kimono top with matching balloon shorts, white tights, and red slippers, and just a red T-shirt and jeans with red converse. That day, she had changed out of the former into the latter so she could help clean up Lal's mess. Her hair was still en pointe though. Little victories.

 She sighed as she gazed at the newly-built Lucky Egg, then returned to what she was doing before, which was tending to her Noodle Bar. She walked into the tiny cafe which was luckily only a few buildings away from the Lucky Egg, and started wiping down tables.