Chapter 12: The Lab

Zoeya

  "Hey! Stop! Leggo! Take me back to my cell! Help!" Zoeya exclaimed as Lalnable dragged her down the stone hallway, spattered with the red droplets she had by now become accustomed to. Her captor's face was grim and set, steely blue eyes flashing with menace.

 Stop it, she commanded herself. Is this any way for a Princess of the Blaze Kingdom to act?  I can't give him the satisfaction of seeing me upset. F*ck you, Lalnable!

 She relaxed her pull on Lalnable's arm and stood up straight with a regal expression, not allowing him to see any more of her fear. She was a Princess and she would damn well act like one.

At least, that was what she thought until they arrived at The Lab.

                *********************************************************************

  He threw open a heavy steel door and cast her inside, strapping her into a wooden chair with metal clamps. An ether-soaked cloth muffled her screams and tears and slowed her panicked writhing as the needle injected itself into her neck. Sinister laughter echoed around her as Chaona, Lalnable and Strawfingers all watched her black out.

Blaze Blood, she thought as she faded out of reality. The most volatile magic in the world.

And with that she fell into an uneasy blackness.

  Rythian was sobbing over her, his face contorted into a picture of grief. He shut his eyes and sobbed loudly, bowing his head. She reached out her hand to touch his face, tell her husband everything was going to be okay, tell him that he didn't need to cry, but the second she moved, Rythian was gone, and she was alone. 

 Then her parents appeared, in full royal robes, looking at her like they had on her sixteenth birthday. Cold. Angry.

"You are a disappointment, Zoeya. You are mad. You cannot rule this Kingdom. Either behave as we wish, or leave." 

"No! Please no! Don't leave me! I can't! Rythian! Help! Help me! Please Please!" she sobbed into the blackness that surrounded her, suffocating her with every tear that rolled down her cheek. 

In the real world her screams were heard by everyone in the room, looking on as she convulsed in pain and delirium, screaming for a hero that was not coming.

              ****************************************************************************

Next Chapter: A Council Meeting Is Called.