thirty-seven

Pregnancy symptoms are known to show at four weeks, Charlie started noticing at three weeks, why was it so early? She didn't know, but she had done her research. Two days after Valentine's day, she had taken Luke's virginity. That entire week she was fine, just frightened when she had missed yet another period, and this time she didn't believe it was because of weight loss. The next week, she was tired, really hungry, and a little nauseous. But now, it was all showing. She was vomiting every morning, her hunger was raging through her stomach, and she peed way to much for a normal seventeen year old.

She was at the doctors, she had went by herself, not wanting anyone else to know what she was doing. Her mom went to work and Wendy was at school along with everyone else, Luke called her during their lunch break, but she didn't answer it, she wanted to be alone.

All she wanted was to be alone.

"Name please," the woman at the desk gave her a kind smile.

"Charlie," she swallowed hard, "Charlie Max." She wiped her hands on her jeans and tried her best not to vomit in front of everyone.

"You have an appointment?" the woman asked.

Charlie shook her head, "No, it's kind of urgent."

The woman frowned, "Well if it's urgent we can get you in as soon as possible, what seems to be the problem?"

Charlie's eyes watered and she stared down, "I n-need an a-abortion."

The woman's eyes widened, "Oh, well how far along are you?"

"Three, four weeks," Charlie muttered, sniffling, "I don't know how any of this works."

"Well we give you a pill," the woman explained, making sure to keep her voice down, "Then you take another pill at home that we'll supply you with about six hours later if you want it to be fast, and that's really all, then after that you come back to the office so we make sure that everything went okay and that you really got rid of the pregnancy."

Charlie nodded, "Okay."

"Are you positive that you want to do this?" the kind woman asked, "This is a big decision and-"

"I'm not ready to raise a child," Charlie said to her, "I need those pills."

The woman nodded, "I'll be right back." She got up and Charlie took in a deep breath, she heard the sound of a cry, and turned her body around. She saw a woman, holding her child in her arms, she smiled at her child and caressed his face softly.

Charlie stared at baby and looked down at her stomach, then back up at the woman with the child. The baby turned it's head and was now looking straight at Charlie, she felt trapped, like the walls were closing in on her and there was no were to turn. She wanted to turn back around, but she was trapped, just staring at the baby.

Charlie stared at the woman and back at the baby and gave the baby a small smile, the baby responded with loud laughter, which made Charlie's heart warm. She looked back at the desk, and saw that the woman was still gone. She turned herself right around and walked out of the doctors office.

She felt tears roll down her cheeks and thought of herself, holding a baby in her arms. She grabbed her phone and walked into a pastry shop that she knew was near the hospital after spending the night there with Tamina.

Charlie ordered a coffee and a three cookies, not being able to handle the hunger anymore. When she got what she wanted, she ate the cookies quickly and drank her coffee even quicker. She stared at the contact that she had been intending to call for days.

"C'mon Char," she muttered to herself, "Just do it."

It took her about five times before she actually pushed the button to call the contact that she was staring at.