Chapter One: Conflict of Interest

"What took you so long?" Navi muttered as Link finally came out of the woods. He made no sign of hearing her; instead his full attention was fixed on the scene before him. For the first time in his life, for miles and miles, he was seeing open, empty space, with only a few, small trees dotting the landscape. His face broke into a wide, excited smile. This was the world he had dreamed of seeing. This was the world that stories were told of, myths and legends were held of, fables were written of. And now, he was the first Kokiri to be a part of it.

        He laughed, running forward and leaving Navi trailing behind. He never thought it was so big! This was more than he had ever hoped it would be!

        "Link! Link, quit playing around and focus on what we're supposed to be doing!"

        He finally came to a stop, panting from the sudden exertion. He kneeled down, feeling the ground with is hands, the individual stalks of grass slipping through his fingers. It was dryer than the forest, but still fresh and alive. The sun was strong here, he realized then. It was hotter out in the open, wind or no.

        He sighed, hearing Navi's wings flutter beside him and stop as she landed on his shoulder. She was right, of course, they were here because they were charged with a task, and they were to see that task through. Go to some castle and find some princess...

        He looked up suddenly, squinting as he looked over the horizon. Where was there a castle? Where were there even people? He had no idea where he was, except alone with a fairy in the middle of a field. He had no way to pinpoint his location or direction. He knew nothing.

        "Son of a Scrub, where by the spirits are we?" He asked aloud. Navi sighed.

        "This is why I told you to stop. Lucky for you, I know where we are, and fortunately you were going the right way.

        "So why'd you tell me to stop?"

        "Because it's not a straight line, you numbskull!" she snapped, sighing in irritation. He shrugged, giving in.

        "So, where to?"

        "We won't be able to make it to Hyrule Castle Town before dark, and the gates close before then and don't open till morning. That is why we will be turning to the northeast, gradually turning to the east, to find an establishment in the middle of this Hyrule Field."

        There was a pause of silence, then...

        "So...I go left until I see a building?"

        Navi sighed, and rolled her eyes. "Yes Link, we go left. And ahead of us somewhere a dirt path should appear. We can follow that left. Does that help?"

        Link nodded, satisfied. "So can I run now?"

        "No!"

                                                         ~0~

        The light was fading fast behind him as he drew closer to his destination. A very high, circular wall, made mostly of stone, topped with wooden spikes, sat right on top of a giant hill, in the middle of Hyrule field.

        The size alone left him in awe. He couldn't even imagine the size of the house, with one of its stories peeking out over the top. It had to be huge. Navi had explained the place was actually a ranch that also doubled as an inn. She was forced to explain what an inn was too; the concept was brand new to him.