Chapter Four: Dreams and Legends

Her blonde hair flew behind her as she rushed to catch up with her father, still several paces before her. Obviously flustered, it was clear he had no intentions of slowing or stopping for her. She huffed, picking up her pace as she spoke up again, pleading.

          “Father!”

          “Enough, my child! How many times must I say it?!” His voice was stern and hard, and echoed through the expansive hall. 

          “But Father, please! I’m begging you; please don’t meet with that man!”

          “By the goddesses, child, have you no honor for your father?! I said enough, now cease!”

          “I cannot! That man frightens me, father, and my dream-“

          “Gah, this again?! Your dream means nothing! It is just that, a dream!”

          “But father, it was not just a dream! It was so real!”

         The tall man sighed, slowing his pace some at last. He reached up to move aside a stand of hair, greying from black, which had stranded itself under his brow. He spoke again, this time softening his tone. “Of course it was, my child. Dreams can be like that sometimes. But, no matter how real a dream may be, I am not going to rule my people over the imaginings and night-visions of a child. Please understand, it does not hold a place in politics, and the people nor would the council stand for it.”

          “…Father?”

          He stopped, finally, and turned to face his daughter. He knelt down onto one knee as she came before him. “Yes child?” He asked, placing a hand on her shoulder. She hesitated, unsure if she wanted to know after all.

        “Do you…do you believe me, father?”

         She stared at the floor as her answer was silence. She felt his grip tighten ever slightly. She already knew the answer.

          “Of course, my child. You have never lied to me yet, so I cannot believe you would start now.”

          He smiled, and kissed her forehead, and rose again to his full height. “I must do this whether you wish me to or not; I am sorry. Why don’t you go play in the courtyard for a while, hmm?” He patted her head, and gave a small wave as he resumed his trek through the corridors to the assembly hall.

          She stood there, rooted to the spot, well after his footsteps had ceased echoing. She knew what his answer was, and his words had rung hollow in her ears. She sighed sadly, turning ‘round to wander the halls.

          He didn’t believe her after all.

                                                          ~0~

          “Son of a scrub, Why are there so many guards?!” Link softly whined, leaning up against a stone wall amidst the castle courtyards. Navi had hid herself underneath his hat, so as not to draw any unwanted attention.

          The two had made it to the castle relatively easily, under the cover of night. A water drain from the side of the castle, which filled up the moat, served well as an access point to the inside. He had found himself in one of the many courtyards, where now he was doing his best not to be caught by the guards that roamed them.

          Risking a peak, he found no guard present in his sights, and so he bolted across, praying to the goddesses he would not be caught. Making it to the end, he dove and took residence under one of the carefully pruned bushes. No alarms were sounded, no raised voices were heard. He breathed a sigh of relief, relaxing a little.