Chapter Two: Lon Lon Ranch

Muffled voices were heard from beyond the door, followed by the sound of footsteps drawing closer. Come to check on him again. This time though, they would find him awake.

        The door opened, and a middle-aged man stepped in; the man he assumed his life was indebted to. And he was a curious looking man indeed. He was taller than he himself was, but not by much; short was a fitting description. Short, but not at all small. The most noticeable feature was perhaps his ginormous belly, which made up more than half of his body he suspected. It was perfectly round, which he had to try very hard not to smile or indeed, even laugh. Built upon that round bubble of a belly though were short, but stocky legs, and, more prominently, powerfully built arms.

        He might have taken the man more seriously by these, but his face was just as peculiar as his rounded body. The man was balding considerably, yet he bore a fantastic pair of sideburns, blending perfectly into his exquisite mustache that lay under his large nose as round as his stomach; he possessed no beard, however. His blue eyes were nearly hidden by the large eyebrows he also sported, shaped at an angle where he always looked worried, yet his eyes were soft and kind. His pointed ears, rather than extending outward more, remained close to his head, extending back instead, the dark hair that was left on the sides of his head and back were pulled back into a short ponytail.

        Add that to the clothes he wore - brown boots, blue overalls that were too short to cover all his legs (he wondered how they even supported the weight of the man's middle), and a tight red shirt - made him look quite strange indeed. Neither threatening, nor comical, just strange. If he had to make any judgments of the man, he would have to say he would fit in perfectly with a circus of some kind. He thought no ill of the man however, and he gave a weak smile toward him.

        By comparison, the man's greeting was much more profound. Upon seeing the smile he gave a wide one of his own, marked by the mustache being pulled upwards, and with a swiftness that was unexpected came and pulled a stool from beside the bed up and he sat upon it. Even as he was walking his tenor voice carried across the room.

        "Excellent, excellent, you are awake, much sooner than I expected. How are you? Well I hope? Are you hungry?"

        "Uhh."

        It was all Link could say, taken quite by surprise by the man's fast speech. He seemed to catch on immediately, and leaned back a little in his seat, smiling reassuringly.

        "I'm sorry, did I startle you? I'm just a worried old man, don't mind me. I have my own daughter, see, and I'd hate to see anything happen to her or any other child. I must say though, you certainly got yourself in a squabble," He noted, speaking more slowly now. "I'd certainly like to hear your side of the story, but that can wait. How are you feeling?"

        "Well, uh...It hurts to move too much, and my head hurts, but I think I'm fine."

        "Good, good" the man nodded, satisfied. "I was afraid that...well, never mind that now. The pain is a good sign; it means your body's healing, eh? It'll pass in time as your body recovers more. But to heal properly you need food, and I can bet your hungry, or am I mistaken?"

        "No, you’re not," He answered. As if to confirm it his stomach chimed in with a loud growl of its own. The man laughed, a hearty booming sound, as he pushed himself up from his seat.

        "Well then, you're in time for a late dinner! I'll have it up for you in a moment. Oh, and lest I forget," He added, turning from the door to face him again. "Th'name's Talon, and welcome to Lon Lon Ranch." He smiled one last time before exiting the room, closing the door gently behind him.