Chapter Twelve: Magic!

"You're a lucky one indeed, young man, hoo, I would not have imagined she would take such a liking to you. You're more than ready for your next task, I think, hoot."

     It had only taken a few minutes to describe what had taken hours to transpire, and now Kaepora Gaebora swiftly descended to the base of the mountain, close to the guarded gate. Gently, he lowed link close enough for him to let go, dropping only a few feet, and the old owl landed on the ground beside him, ruffling his feathers as he tucked his wings in.

     "If I'm not mistaken, you still need one more stone, yes?"

     "You know about that?" Link asked, surprised. The owl chuckled.

     "Indeed I do, hoo, and I know where it can be found. Follow the Hyrule River upstream, and you will find where the proud Zora, an aquatic race, make their home. For centuries they have protected the river's source, hoo, and they are well known for generally turning away all save those of the royal family, whom they are loyal to. I should think though, hoo hoo, that you'll hardly have trouble entering."

     "No, I don't think so either," he answered, bringing his hand up to touch his ocarina. The owl nodded, satisfied.

     "You catch on quick, hoo, you're a smart kid. From Kakariko, it is perhaps a day's journey on foot, if you get an early start you can reach it before sundown. I advise you to take some time to rest though, you've done much in little time, and I'm sure you'd like to familiarize yourself with your newfound power."

     "That is an excellent idea," Navi chimed in, coming out from Link's hat to float beside him. "Now that you have magic, I have to teach you how to use it. The Great Fairy said you had innate magic in you, which means you would have your own special abilities. We may as well find out what those are before you go off learning anything else."

     "Wow, really? That sounds like fun!" Link grinned, imagining what he might be able to do. He had heard many stories of wizards using powerful magic, and now that he had seen magic for himself, he wondered if he could do the same. Navi shook her head, trying very hard not to smile with him. Though she understood his excitement, he was still only a kid, she would have to teach that magic was not something to be trifled with. She couldn't help but shake the feeling that was going to be a task in itself.

     "Remember though," Kaepora added, casually swiveling his head around, "You have a mission. I do not believe that time is strictly of the essence, hoo, but I advise you do not linger too long either." He swiveled his head upright again, unfurling his wings. "I shall depart here, but I shall see you again before long, I think. Stay strong, and may the Goddesses light your way, hoo. Farewell!" Lifting himself off the ground with a tremendous heave that blasted the pair with a gust of wind, the great owl swiveled around and was quickly lost from sight by the mountainous terrain.

     "Let's head back to the village and get some rest Link, tomorrow we'll start your new education." Link smiled wide, still excited.

     "I can't wait to learn!"

     Navi sighed, beginning to think that maybe the Great Fairy had made the wrong choice of gift. Goddesses help me.

~0~

     "Close your eyes and take a deep breath Link. For this you'll want the least amount of stimuli possible."

     Link did as he was told, sitting cross legged on top of a crate beside the house he had stayed in that night previous, the same one as he had before. It was still early morning, the sun was not yet risen over the horizon, but already there was life stirring. The cuccos were being cared for in their pen, and the carpenter brothers were busying about, but no one paid him any mind.