Chapter 6, Quidditch Tryouts

PERCY'S POV

The next morning, I saw everyone gathered around the Slytherin's noticeboard. Spotting Draco at the front of the crowd, I pushed my way through the crowd and finally reached his side. Draco whispered excitedly, "Quidditch tryouts!"

"What tryouts?" I asked. "Quidditch. It's a type of sport in the Wizarding World. Matches are played between two teams of seven players riding flying broomsticks, using four balls: a Quaffle, two Bludgers, and a Golden Snitch. Six ring-shaped goals are situated atop poles of different heights, three on each side of the pitch." Draco paused to suck in a breath of air since he was so hyped about it. "The muggles have copied us. The game has been adopted in the real world in the form of Muggle Quidditch." Draco looked pretty enthusiastic about it and was practically grinning from ear to ear. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guys in case you forgot about what Quidditch is about and stuff, here's some info from Wikipedia

Players and equipment

Pitches

Quidditch matches are played on (or rather over) an oval-shaped, 500 feet (150 m) long and 180 feet (55 m) wide pitch, with a small central (core) circle approximately 2 feet (0.61 m) in diameter. At each end stand three hooped goal posts, each at a different height: one at 30 ft (9.1 m), one at 40 ft (12 m), and one at 50 ft (15 m), comprising the scoring area. There is also a line that shows mid-field, which is 250 ft (76 m). Quidditch fields have white shaded areas around the goalposts, to mark the scoring area and the bounds in which keepers must stay. Since Quidditch is an aerial sport, Quidditch pitches are shown to feature spectator seating at high vantage points, either in towers (such as at Hogwarts ) or in a fully encircling stadium-style platform, with the "top box" considered the most prestigious place for a spectator to be seated. The British stadium that is shown for the 1995 Quidditch World Cup in the film version of Goblet Of Fire is of this latter style, which appears similar to modern football or athletics stadium, albeit that the seating continues to curve upwards beyond the vertical, almost enclosing the pitch. Both the Hogwarts and World Cup pitches have been shown turfed with grass. The surface is used primarily for launching off at the beginning of the game, and on occasion for falling onto when players are dismounted from their brooms. Seekers, who sometimes fly close to the pitch surface, can be tricked into crashing into the surface occasionally at great speed (when tricked into doing so by the opposing seeker; it is known as the Wronski feint).

Quidditch balls

Quaffle

The Quaffle is spherical in shape (although it is shown with four large dimples in the films, appearing more as a ), scarlet in colour, and approximately 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter, and about the weight of a football but hollow. It is explained in that the Quaffle is enchanted to fall very slowly through the air when dropped to prevent players from having to continuously dive to retrieve it. The backstory of Quidditch explains that the red colour was instituted to create a stronger contrast between the Quaffle and mud. The Quaffle is also enchanted to make it easy to grip with only one hand. Only one Quaffle is used in a game, and if the Chaser throws it through the hoop they score 10 points for their team.

Bludgers

The two Bludgers are round, jet black balls, made of iron. A Bludger is 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter. They are described as being bewitched to fly without any visible means of propulsion, although they do retain , which makes them unable to change speed or direction swiftly. They act as airborne obstacles, flying around the pitch and trying indiscriminately to knock players off their brooms. The Beaters carry short wooden clubs, which they use to knock the Bludgers away from their teammates and/or toward the opposing team. The Bludgers do most of the damage in the game of Quidditch; they will occasionally injure players and break brooms. A correctly bewitched Bludger with no jinxes will not side with a team; they will instead alternate players after they try and knock a player from one team off their broom.