Chapter 2

“Aubrey… sweetie... wake up. You’re graduating soon.” My mom says shaking me like a earthquake.

            I open my eyes looking over at the clock and it’s 8 A.M.

            “Seriously Mom? The graduation is at 2 P.M. in the afternoon. I don’t need to be awake this early.”

            I close my eyes being agitated and tired. I pull my covers over my body turning my back to my mom trying to fall asleep again. Who wakes someone up at 8 A.M. to go somewhere at 1:30 for a 2:00 graduation? I’m tired as hell and everyone thinks it’s best to wake me up at 8 or even earlier.

            “Fine but you can’t sleep past 10.”

            “Yeah yeah.”

            I listen as my mom walks out of my room shutting the door behind her and I can finally rest.

            I wake up to the noise of chattering and just roar echoing through the house. It must be more of my family that has came over to go with us to the graduation. I love my family and all but they always wake me up. That’s the thing with this family you can’t sleep. Or at least I can’t. I get up looking at the clock and it’s actually right on time, it’s 10. I pull out my formal shirt and dress from the bag that protects clothing. I lay it out on my bed brushing it off and just making it look perfect. I walk over grabbing a tie and I lay it on my clothes. Yeah I know I’m wearing a tie but I like them. It’s not like I’m wearing a tuxedo I’m just wearing a loose tie.

            I walk downstairs running my fingers through my hair and I see my family then I take a deep breath walking in with a smile.

            “Hey Y’all” I say as they hug me and I grunt.

            “Okay I can tell you guys love me.”

            I smile letting go of them then I walk over to the dinner table eating my breakfast.

            “Aubby are you grau… gradu…”

            “Graduating.” I say to my little cousin that’s only 3. I shake his hair back and forth messing it up. “Why yes I am. You’ll graduate one day…” I smile and continue to eat my breakfast.

            “So what are you going to wear under the gown?” My aunt asks.

            “A formal shirt and pants with a loose tie.” I say staring at her.

            My whole family now knows I’m gay but the only one that has a little problem with it is my aunt so I know she didn’t like hearing that I was wearing a tie.

            “Hmm.” She says and walks away talking to my mom. I shake my head and I look around seeing how everyone is dressed except me. Even Melanie is dressed and that’s the first. I laugh a little to the thought of that and how she’ll graduate soon too.

            I finish eating my breakfast and I clean my plate. My dad kisses me on the cheek. I look at him.

            “What is it?” I ask staring at him as I dry my plate.

            “My little girl is getting so old.”

            I laugh a little then I hug him. “Oh stop it; I’m still your little girl… just bigger and older.” I let go of him smiling.

            He smiles back.

            I walk away going upstairs to take a shower so I can go ahead and get ready for today.