Return

You stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. It had been a very long time since you had been in Rosewood, but nothing had changed. The breeze still felt the same, the air still smelled slightly of old coffee and you were still scared of the DiLaurentis household.
Two years ago when you had left Rosewood, everything in your life was a mess. You were in love with the elder DiLaurentis, and were hiding it from the younger, your best friend. Jason and you had been dating for almost a year and a half when Ali disappeared. This caused Jason to lose himself a little bit, unsure if he was still who you remembered. Finally, when Ali was claimed dead, you and Jason broke up.
The only reason you were back today was the fact that Ali wasn't actually dead. They had found her about two weeks ago, and you knew you had to return to Rosewood, too. You walked up the driveway of your childhood home and knocked. Your parents were thrilled to see you, and you were meeting up with Spencer later.
You arrived at Spencer's house a few hours later. You stepped out of your car and struggled not to look over at the DiLaurentis house. You walked up the driveway and knocked on the door. You took a deep breath as you waited for the door to open. Mr. Hastings opened the door and hugged you immediately.
"How are you, Y/N?"
"I'm doing much better, Mr. Hastings. Thank you," you replied with a smile. After you and Jason broke up, you didn't move away for another few months. In that time period you lost yourself. You had already lost your best friends, your boyfriend, it was only a matter of time until you lost yourself too. You got into drinking and partying and finally our parents sent you away to a rehab center. You left the center six months later and hadn't touched a bottle since. Your friends hadn't seen the newer, better you yet.
"Spence!" Mr. Hastings called up and Spencer came running down the stairs. She smiled when she saw you and hugged you.
"I've missed you, Y/N/N," Spencer said.
"I've missed you, too, Spence," you said. "How is she?"
"Ali? She's okay. I know she's missed out on a lot, but she's doing her best."
"Tell me about A."
"Y/N-"
"Spence I know. But I need to know what I've missed. I want to know what happened to my best friends."
"It's kind of a long story," Spencer started. She told you about Mona, and the new A, and all the other bullshit that has happened to your friends.
"I'm so sorry, Spencer," you said, hugging her again. "I shouldn't have pushed."
"It's okay, Y/N."
"Y/N?" You turned around and saw Aria, Hanna and Emily walking into the house.
"I've missed you guys," you said, hugging all of the girls.
"Are you ready?" Spencer asked.
"I think so." You walked over to the DiLaurentis household and noticed that Jason's car was in the driveway. You took a deep breath but continued to walk. Ali opened the door before you knocked and looked at you. "Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes," you said barely above a whisper with a smile.
"It's so good to see you," Ali said, with a few tears in her eyes before hugging you. She let you into the house and brought you up to her room. You sat down on her bed and looked around.
"It's weird being here again," you said.
"I feel the same," Ali said with a slight smile.
"How are you?" you asked, grabbing her hand.
"I'm okay. It's strange, but it still feels like home."
"Ali?"
"I'm up here, Jason," Ali called. You turned to look at Ali and shook your head. "You'll be fine."
"No, I'm not ready."
"Either man up and face my brother or hide out in the closet," Ali retorted.
"Same old Ali," you said.
"Hi," Jason said breathlessly as he appeared in Ali's doorway.
"Hi," you said, equally as speechless. Jason looked better than he had years ago. He looked happier and healthier.
"What's up Jason?"
"Dad sent this," he said, handing Ali a box. He stood there awkwardly for a moment before leaving. The girls all turned to look at you.
"What?" you asked. They looked at you again. "Fine," you said, leaving the room. You ran down the stairs and out the door. "Jason!" you called.
"Y/N." You stopped and put your hand in your jeans. You looked up at him and smiled.
"You look good, Jason."
"Thanks. You do, too. How are you?"
"I'm good, thanks. Sobriety is kind of a slap in the face," you said with a slight smile.
"I know."
"Do you mind if we don't talk about that anymore? It's kind of all I have been hearing since I got back."
"I know the feeling."
"Do you have somewhere to be? I don't want to interrupt anything," you said, looking down at the ground.
"I've got nowhere to be. We should talk, but where the girls can't watch us," he said, motioning towards the window. You turned around and saw the girls peeking out the window. They moved away when you saw them. You laughed and looked at Jason.
"How does a walk sound?"
"Perfect," Jason said, holding out his arm so you could walk in front of him. The two of you began walking down the sidewalk.
"Please tell me you haven't lived in Rosewood all this time," you said, looking up at his green eyes.
"On and off. I spent some time in Philly, but I've commuted back and forth to Rosewood."
"This city is poison, Jase. Why would you come back?"
"You're back here," he retorted.
"True," you said, tilting your head and smirking.
"So, why would you come back to the poison city?" he asked.
"You know why I'm here."
"No, Y/N, if you wanted to see Ali that only takes a weekend. You don't have to move back in."
"I don't think you can ever leave Rosewood. Well, at least I can't."
"Regardless, I'm glad you're back," Jason said with a smile.
"I am too, I think," you said, smiling back at him.
"We never really got to talk about what happened."
"We know what happened. After Ali went missing, we kind of fell apart."
"Yeah, I know," he said, looking down at the ground. After a beat he said, "I wish we wouldn't have."
"Me either. Do you remember when we would race down to the lake, and the loser had to jump in?"
"Yes."
"You better catch up," you said, sprinting towards the lake, a smiling Jason running behind you.