Chapter 7

Day 5:

I pace around the old shop, not having been able to sleep, wait restlessly for L to wake up. What time is it even? I think to myself as I peek out the window into the pitch-black night.  Close to midnight I suppose...Maybe I should walk around, plan where to go. This will be a good time to look around. I slowly creek open the shop door and step out into the brisk night air. Even-though it is chilly out, my whole body is burning. Hot, infected blood surges through my veins. I quietly look around the small town right outside the city. Shops here and there. A small patch of empty houses. Typical town, except the fact that it was empty and life-less. Since I have nothing better to do, I browse the shops lining the road. I also set some of our signs out. -MOM, MATT, IF YOU ARE HERE MEET ME BACK AT THE STORE THAT THIS ALL HAPPENED AT - MELODY. The signs will hopefully help, since they weren't in our neighborhood, they must be in the city. Somewhere. Alive and breathing, hopefully. Nearby trashcans stir. I freeze at the sound, but then turn, unafraid. I walk toward them and peer over. I see nothing and turn back only to find myself staring down the barrel of a gun.

The hand holding the gun belonged to Jeremy. I stare at him, my mouth agape. It's Jeremy...from my...dream. I think as he slightly lowers his gun. "Are you infected?" Jeremy asks, prodding the gun forward. "No." I lie. He rests his gun and examines me. "You here by yourself?" He asks, astonished. I shake my head, "No, another survivor is with me...What about you? Are you alone?" I ask him skeptically. "Nah, I am with a group...well what is left at least. We were staying in this house out in the country, but it was overrun by walkers." Jeremy says in a depressed tone, "Some of our people were bit and had to be left...We are staying at this large shopping center a few miles back..." He says, pointing down the road. My eyes widen. If my dream was a correct depiction of what is going to happen...then they need to leave! "Mind if we tag along? We have supplies and we can help you get more if you need them." I say in a pleading tone. "L is in that shop just right there." He looks at me for a moment, thinking. "Sure, I don't think the others would mind. We can use all the help we can get!" Jeremy says finally. "Okay, well I will go wake L. Just this way..." I say, leading him back to the old shop.

Once we get to the shop, I shake L awake. He quickly recollects and gives me a confused look. " What is going on Mel? Is something wrong?" L asks in a sleepy voice, rubbing his eyes. I step aside and let Jeremy in. L's jaw drops open and he smiles at me. "Let's go." I say to him, grabbing our stuff. We head out the door, down the long paved road back to the shopping center.