Chapter 12

Rain overnight had turned the magical surroundings into a dreary wintry scene. The snow, previously so pristine and white, was now a murky gray color. With each step, Lucy's ugg boots sunk further into the slushy mess.

She was brought out of her inner turmoil by the sound of a car engine purring beside her.

"Lucy." With his window half down, Daniello peered out. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, hello." Lucy said. "I'm off to clean my bus out, so I can stay there tonight."

"Get in. I'll give you a ride."

She watched him suspiciously.

"Trust me," he said shamefaced, "I won't try anything again."

Lucy wasn't sure if that was reassuring or depressing. She could see he was apologetic and contrite.

The water had managed to penetrate the stitching of her ugg boots and had lowered her body temperature hugely, but riding in a car with someone with that much testosterone could be equally catastrophic.

Finally she decided. "Thanks for the offer." She tried to look suitably impressed and then commenced her struggle with the door handle which would have taken a good five minutes, but Daniello popped it open.

"I got it imported."

"What?" Lucy glanced around the vicinity for any indication of what he was talking about.

"The car," he said. "I am a bit of a stickler. I like luxurious things."

Lucy, catching a glance of herself in the side mirror of the car, wondered what on earth he was doing trying to kiss her the previous night then. There was nothing luxurious about her. A third generation tree hugger meant she wore her clothes till holes appeared and conjoined with other neighboring holes. After all... there was so many resources used to make one item of clothing for her to throw them away so frivolously.

"Do you feel comfortable?" He asked.

"Yeah," she lied. Comfortable? Sitting next to a man like him? All of her nerves were standing on end. Every time he moved she was tormented between hoping he was going to kiss her and hoping she'd come to her senses and get over this strange infatuation she'd found herself in.

He started fiddling with a knob on the console between them. Lucy's chair jumped to life massaging her as fiercely as a Korean masseuse. "JESUS CHRIST!" If she hadn't buckled herself in already, she would have been airborne. "What the fuck is wrong with this chair?"

Daniello burst into genuine laughter, and Lucy had to admit it was quite endearing. "Sorry, I was trying to show you how the chairs massage you."

"I thought there was something in there trying to get out." She smiled, shamefaced.

"When was the last time you were in a car?"

"Not for quite a while," Lucy admitted. "And certainly in nothing this new."

"This one has 206 kilometers on the clock," Daniello said. His fingers were deftly poking at buttons on the dashboard.

Lucy stared at Daniello with a considering look on her face.

"What?"

"You are so handsome when you smile."

Her compliment must have reminded him of his mashed groin the night before and all trace of amusement disappeared from his face. He sat back.

"I'm sorry for last night," Lucy said. "When you live by yourself you get a little bit gung-ho with the self-defense caper. You are a really nice man... and quite good looking. But you really should stop when women say no."