One: California

P.O.V: Alexandria

"Alex, where ya goin'?" I turn to find Casey toss a cigarette in an alley.

"Home." I shoulder my back-pack into a more comfortable position, then continue walking.

"Well, why?" Casey runs to catch up with me, "You don't like home anyway."

I keep walking and don't answer.

"We could go hang out somewhere." Casey tries again.

"Casey, I need to get home. Last time, I was in a hell of a lot of trouble for coming home ten minutes late." I say it with more annoyance than I meant to.

"Look, I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" I say in a nicer tone.

Casey sighs and shakes her head at me. "Sure. I guess I'll see you then." She pulls out another cigarette and lights it. Then she waves and walks in the opposite direction.

I sigh and continue walking. She was right. Home was the last place I wanted to be. But if I didn't get home..... I shake my head at the thought as I round the corner and enter the Waterside Residence. Yes, its a little community by the water. Creative name, right?

I type in a code and the gate opens automatically. I walk past a few ritzy, Victorian style houses with, you guessed it, big french doors. They all were different shapes and sizes, but they still looked the same.

Two blocks later, I make a right turn and walk to the edge of the houses. There, sectioned off along the river, (surprise, surprise), a total of five acres, was the biggest house in Waterside Residence.

I punch in another code and walk through the opening gate surrounding the property.

The perfectly manicured yard surrounded the house and bordered the paved driveway with tall oak trees. The fence surrounding the yard was a tall, black, spear-like fence with giant hedges on the outside, to ensure privacy.

A big, white house looked grand and intimidating as it sat there at the end of the driveway. But I wasn't one to be fooled.

I reach the front door, take a deep breath, and walk in. I close the the huge double-doors softly behind me as I enter into a tall, entry way.

There were matching sets of stairs with a balcony at the top that connected them. Under the balcony was the sitting room with a fire place, tan couches, and huge windows overlooking the backyard, pool and river.

I take the stairs on the right two at a time. I then walk down a long hallway that had two doors on the left and two on the right, each leading to a huge, decorated bedroom.

I reach the end of the hallway and open the large, white door with its gold handle. Behind it was a bedroom fit for a princess. Only, I was not a princess.

My room was a soft green with dark, oak colored furniture. It had one huge, sliding, glass door that led to a balcony at the far end and to the left was an average sized window so I could always watch the sunset and the stars at night.

I hang my school bag on a hook at the back of my bedroom door, then I close the door.

Then I go to my ihome, grab the remote, and sit down in front of my keyboard. I hit play on my remote and the song "Home Far Away" by Dan Gibson begins to play. And then I do what I do every day. I stare at the keyboard, wishing that I had the strength to sing and play again. But, like usual, I couldn't. I haven't been able to play since my Mom died. I just listen to whatever song my ipod happens to be at and stare at my keyboard.

I don't cry though. I haven't since she died. She told me not to cry, that I would see her agian someday. So I haven't cried.

That was four years ago.