Thirteen: Best I Ever Had

I sit in the tree and watch as Lance and Alex come walking up the trail, hand in hand.

It's all I can do not to laugh at them. It's funny that my brother and I are after the same girl. But I also have this feeling buried deep within me, and I can't seem to bring it to the surface.

Briefly, Jordan crosses my mind. I allow the pain to clench my heart for a few seconds, then I push the feeling away. Jordan's gone. It's time I accept that.

Lance stops a few feet from the tree, gives Alex a quick kiss on the lips, then heads for his truck.

Alex smiles.

Until I jump down right in front of her.

"Whoa." She stumbles back a little.

I smile. "Suprise."

She rolls her eyes and gives me an annoyed look. "Honestly, why are you in a tree for cryin' out loud?"

"Why not?"

She walks past me and I let her, cause my brothers and their girlfriends were around.

Lance comes around the truck in jeans and a t-shirt. Alex goes around the corner to change.

I walk to the camp fire Terrance had started, then I sit down.

Todd comes over and sits by me. I used to think he was always goofy lookin with the big nerdy glasses, but the chicks seem to dig em. He also had blue green eyes and dark hair like me. Chicks definitely like that. I speak from experience.

He wore bb shorts and a t-shirt.

"How ya doin' bro?" I bump his shoulder.

Just then, Mckayla and Hope walk out of the tent.

Todd suddenly smiles in their direction. "Fine, bro. Just fine."

Mckayla smiles at him, "Hey, wanna get wood for the fire with me?"

She pulls him to his feet. "Definitely."

I love them, but I'm glad they left. I hate the third wheel feeling.

A few seconds later, Hope and Matt disappear. Coincidence? I think not.

"Well, looks like its just the two bachelors and the temporary bachelor." Emerson comes out of his tent with a medical book. Boring.

"How do you stand that stuff?" I nod in the direction of his book.

"It's a classic in the medical field." He sits on a log across from me, leans against a tree and opens the book.

"I enjoy reading up on my practice." He adds.

Thankfully, Terrance comes out of the trees with an arm load of wood. Of course, isn't wearing a shirt and his muscles bulge. I would never want to get in a fight with him.

Terrance sets the wood down and sits by me with a sigh.

Then, Alex and Lance come and join us. They sit on a log between mine and Emerson's.

"I'm gonna get some food for us." Terrance leaves for the cooler.

Whooping and yelling sounds start up. We all look to the right of our camp and see a few cars full of people pull up to the camping area next to us.

They were obviously drunk.

Dare I join em?

Terrance comes back with the classic hot dogs and marsh mallows.

A series of loud yelling goes up and then music begins to thunder through the camp ground.

Terrance gets annoyed easily, so it's all he can do not to stomp over there and demand his peace and quiet.

I just sit back and enjoy the sounds of the party life.

P.O.V Alex

"The stars are amazing." I sigh.

"Yeah." Not only do I hear his voice, but I feel it as I lay on his chest in the back of his truck.

"Lance, will you do something for me?"

He grabs my hand and our fingers intertwine. "Anything."

"Will you play me a song?"

Lance laughs. "That's an easy request to fulfill."

I sit up so that he can get his guitar.

He hops out of the bed and I marvel at the fire light as it dances across his muscular form.

A moment later, he reappears with his beautiful, black fender.

He leans against where the bed meets the body of the truck.

I sit next to him.

He warms up by finger picking a few minor chords which sound mournfully beautiful.

I sigh. "That's so pretty."

He smiles at me then kisses me on the forehead. "I haven't even gotten started yet."

Then he begins to play one of my favorite songs.

Best I Ever Had by Drake.

"Baby you my everything. You all I ever wanted. We can do it real big. Bigger than you ever done it."

I close my eyes as he turns the rap into a pretty melody.

When the chorus comes around, I harmonize with him.

"We sound amazing together." I kiss Lance on the cheek.

He kisses me on the cheek too. "Some things are just meant to be."

We sing a few more songs, then I get tired and I lay my head on his shoulder.

I fall asleep to his voice and the finger picking of his acoustic guitar.