Chapter 4

Later on that same night, I got out of my shower and heard a strange noise. It sounded like something shattering, followed by a soft strangled groan. I threw on a baggy long sleeve, that was two sizes too big and pajama pants the covered half of my feet (hopefully you all think underwear is a given), and went outside to investigate.

Outside I saw Arthur clutching his wrist, blood seeping from the fresh wound. He was surrounded by shards of a broken glass with water and ice cubes. I ran by his side and gently took his hand. Examining it, it wasn't a deep wound, and it didn't need stiches. I told him to stay put as I ran to the kitchen to get the first aid kit.

When I returned, I helped him up on the couch and started bandaging his wound. I sighed and looked at his face as I wrapped the cloth around his palm and wrist.

"I was only up to get a glass of water," He said sheepishly. "I don't know why I'm so clumsy cupcake."

I paused, there was something wrong with the way he spoke, he had a higher voice and had a different tone to his voice. If I weren't surprised by his sudden nickname for me, I wouldn't have noticed. He never called anyone "Cupcake." He usually called people "Dear" or the, very rare, "Poppet' (though he does call Francis "Frog" on occasion).

Blushing, I looked back at his hand to make sure that it was bandaged correctly. When I was certain that the wound wouldn't bleed through the bandage, I ripped it away from the roll and put it away in it's case. I stood up and Arthur quickly followed behind me.

"Is something wrong (Name)?" He asked avoiding the shards. "You haven't been talking much."

I could feel myself stiffen at the sound of his voice. I turned to him trying to hide my perplexed expression on my face.

"Of course Arthur," I said, trying to hide the tremble in my voice. "It's just that you sound a bit different than usual."

He walked to me and put his arms around me. "I'm just a bit tired (Name). It is pretty late."

I put my arms around his neck returning his hug, my fingers brushing against his bright blonde hair. Arthur didn't like human contact when it didn't involve catching a criminal (or punching Francis). He gingerly pecked my forehead and went into his room with a smile and wave.

As he closed his door I looked at the hand that brushed against his hair. There was a sulfuric like yellow powder covering my fingertips. It was the type of powder that someone uses to recolor his or her hair on short notice. Felicia and I used it all the time for short undercover scouting for the more elaborate heists.

I washed my hands of the powder and started to clean up the glass shards, which were nearly forgotten. As I swept it up I saw that there were splatters of blood that couldn't be made from where Arthur was standing.

I finished the job and threw the shards in the garbage bin. I went inside my bed and flop on the bed. I laid in the dark thinking of Arthur and Alfred's strange behavior.

"What should I do?" I asked myself. "Allistor is too busy with dealing with the press and god knows when Felicia will answer her phone." Sighed and rolled over in my bed. "The best thing to do is consult Francis in the morning."

I let my eyes close and, for the first time in days, fell asleep.