Chapter1- Pandemonium

My name is Jessica Lightwood, but everyone calls me Jess. I live at the Institue with my twin sister, Isabelle, whom I look nothing alike, my older brother, Alec, my best friend, Jace, another close friend, Damion, and our tutor, Hodge. I am 16-years-old and a Shadowhunter. The only people who call me Jessica are Hodge and my parents. If anyone else tries to call me Jessica, they'll have a knife up to their neck before they can even say Jess.
***********************
Isabelle and I were getting ready in my room for Pandemonium. I had put on my black, long sleeved, high collar dress to cover up my Runes. I put on a corset on top of my dress just to make me look skinnier. I don't know why I put it on, this dress is already super tight. I finished applying my make up and put my hair into a knot at the back of my head with some strands coming down in the front.

"You look nice. Here." Isabelle said tossing me a necklace. I smiled at her and put it on. "You should be bait more often."

"You know how Jace, Damion, and Alec feel when I'm bait, Iz. They're already mad at you for making me do it this time. Hey, do you know where my whip is?" I asked scrambling around to find it. She tossed me my silver snake whip that was identical to hers. It curled around my wrist like a bracelet.

I picked up my stele, put it in my boot, and we left the room. Jace was waiting by the elevator for us.

"You look.... Wow." Jace said glossing his eyes over me. I laughed at the fact that I had made Jace Wayland speechless.

"Thanks." I said blushing a little bit. "Where's Damion and Alec?"

"They're waiting in the enterance hall. Alec's gonna be pissed. You guys are going to make us late, again." He said glaring at Isabelle. She laughed and we entered the elevator. It wasn't like a normal mundane elevator, it was more of a birdcage for the enterance but the inside was made of mirrors.

I got my stele out of my boot and started to make a rune on my collar bone. Isabelle swatted my hand.

"Ow! What the hell?" I asked rubbing my hand. She scoulded me.

"No time for that now! We have-" She was interrupted by a jolting hault of the elevator. I started falling until a pair of arms caught me. It was Jace.

"Thanks." I said looking up at him. He helped me up and grinned.

"Well, that's what I do." He said modestly. "I help damsels in distress." I rolled my eyes and left the elevator. Alec was pacing and Damion was drawing runes in the air.

"Damion!" I yelled. My whip started to uncurl and I swatted it at the light blue rune drawn in the air.

"Buzzkill." Damion mumbled.

"Asshole." I snapped back with a grin.

"Bi-" He started but Jace shot him a deadly look. I walked over to my brother. Alec looked at me with furious eyes.

"We've been waiting-!" He started. I put my hand over his mouth.

"Let's go." I said. He sighed and moved his face away. Without a word, he walked over to the great oak wood doors and held his stele up to it. The many locks unlocked and the doors opened.

The stars in the sky shined like little light bulbs in the darkness. We walked out and started to Pandemonium. Damion, Alec, and Isabelle were a few feet in front of Jace and I.

"Jace?" I asked. He looked at me but kept walking.

"Yeah?" He said. I took my stele out of my boot and grabbed his arm and made a power rune on it. "Sure, go ahead and make runes on my arm." He said sarcastically while chuckling.

"Shut up. Honestly, this place could be crawling with demons. It usually is. We don't need any of us getting killed." I said. We turned around the corner and then the sign to the club was visible. "We're almost there. Come on." I grabbed him by wrist and dragged him forward more.