Chapter8- Is It Flirting If It's a Kiss?

We went back to the Institute and got Simon up to the Infermary. Isabelle and I started running around like chickens with our heads cut off gathering bandages and whatnot.

"Clary, you should get some sleep." I said walking over to her.

"Alright. Thanks for helping Simon." She said smiling. I returned the gesture and she left. I smiled to myself and went back to work. I started wrapping Simon's arms that were all scratched up.

"He's done." Izzy said after about an hour. I pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes. "You're staying in here, right?" She asked me. Whenever anybody's hurt, I always stay here with them just to make sure everything's going ok.

"Yeah." I said sitting in a chair at the end of his bed. Izzy left and so did Damion. "Are you staying, Jace?" I asked looking at him. He didn't answer, he just walked out. I started humming a random tune.

I went to my room and got my guitar. I quickly changed into a dark purple top and some black cut offs. I put on my shin high leather boots and some jewelry. I put my hair in a messy bun then walked back to the infermary where Simon was still the only one there and passed out. I stroked the strings of the guitar.

I sat in the Infermary playing songs for ages until I thought of my favorite. Riptide by Vance Joy. I was never aloud to sing around the others except for Jace and Izzy. Alec didn't like it when I sang mundane songs.

"I was scared of dentists and the dark,
I was scared of pretty girls, And starting conversations,
All my friends are turning green,
You're the magicians assistant in their dreams,
Oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh,
And they come unstuck,
Lady running down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man,
I love you when you're singing this song and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong.

There's this movie that I think you'll like,
This guy decides to quit his job and heads to New York City,
This cowboy's running from himself,
She's been living on the highest shelf,

Oh, oh, oh,
Oh, oh, oh, oh,
And they come unstuck,
Lady running down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man,
I love you when you're singing this song and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong.

I just wanna, I just wanna know,
If you're gonna, if you're gonna stay,
I just gotta, I just gotta know,
'Cause I can't have it, I can't have it any other way,
I swear she destined for the screen,
Closest thing to Michelle Fifer that you've ever seen,

Lady running down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man,
I love you when you're singing this song and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong,

Lady running down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man,
I love you when you're singing this song and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong,

Lady running down to the riptide,
Taken away to the dark side,
I wanna be your left hand man,
I love you when you're singing this song and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong and,
I've gotta lump in my throat 'cause you're gonna sing the words wrong."

I played some random notes until I heard a yawn come from infront of me. I looked up and saw Simon sitting up. I smiled at humans put my guitar down.

"Hey." He said.

"Hi."

"How long have I been out?" He asked rubbing his eyes. I laughed.

"All day. I've been up here." I said. He nodded and I went into my pockets. I pulled out his glasses and tossed them to him. "Sorry, the lens cracked." He put them on and took them off and on again.

"Weird. I don't seem to need them anymore." He shrugged and put them on the night stand. I then remembered. Today's Izzy and my birthday!

"Today's my birthday." I said under my breath smiling.

"What?"

"Today's my birthday. Izzy and I are turning 18." I said still beaming.

"Happy birthday." He said. "What do you guys usually do?"

"Well, nothing exciting. We usually go to Pandemonium and more demon hunting. They get us presents and we get a cup cake. It's not much, but it's better than nothing." I said. My smile them disappeared as I remembered my parents and Max, my little brother, weren't going to be here.

"What's wrong?" Simon asked. I shook my head.

"My parents and my eleven year old brother aren't going to be here for my birthday. Max, my brother, Izzy, Alec, and I always do something special with our parents." I said. Simon was quiet but then looked at my guitar.

"You play the guitar?" He asked. I looked at my guitar and smiled.

"Yeah. Jace thought me a few years ago." I said nodding. "Do you?"

"Yeah, I'm in a band with some of my friends." He said blushing. I grinned and chuckled.

"Why?" I asked. He turned even more red.

"Well, I was kind of forced into it." He said. "My friend said it was the only way to get a girl friend. That and getting hurt doing something dangerous."

"Your friend doesn't seem like the romantic type." I said laughing. He nodded and laughed along with me. "But, you might have some scars on your arms from those damn ropes the vampires hung you from."

"Oh yeah. I start school in a month and the first thing a girl asks me is, 'Oh my God! What happened?' My answer is, 'Oh, I got captured by some vampires and they hung me from ropes and wires'." He said sarcastically. I burst into laughter and grabbed my guitar and plucked some strings.

"I don't know. If a guy told a girl that believed in vampires that he got scars from vampires, she might think it's hot." I said not looking at him. I'm not flirting with Simon, but I don't know if it's coming off that way or not.

"Would you?" He asked. I looked at him.

"Depends on who the guy is." I said. He laughed and put his head back.

"Can you play a song?" He asked. I nodded and pulled my chair closer to him so I was now sitting next to the night stand.

"I heard there was a secret cord,
That David played and it pleased the Lord,
But you don't really care for music, do you?
Well it goes like this,
The fourth the fifth,
The minor cord and the major lift,
A baffled key,
Compulsive hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah.

Her faith was strong but she needed proof,
You saw her bathing on the roof,
Her beauty in the moon light over threw you,
Well she tied you to a kitchen chair,
She broke your crown and she cut your hair,
From your lips,
They drew a hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah."

Simon sat there looking at me. I blushed and put the guitar next to me.

"You're good." He said.

"Thanks. I don't play very much, though." I said. I started to run my fingers through the tips of my hair.

"You should." He said. I looked up at him and held a gaze. He started leaning in and so did I. What am I doing? I screamed in my head. I slowly pulled away and looked at him. "Sorry." He said quietly. I shook my head and have him a reassuring smile. He put his head back and fell asleep.

I stood up and got a damp cloth. I started wiping the dirt off of his face and neck when I heard a piano. I looked at the doors of the Infermary and stood up. I walked out and followed the noise.