Chapter9- Loving an Angel

I followed the noise and ended up outside of the piano room. I creaked open the door and saw Jace sitting at the piano playing. It started out as this beautiful song until he started banging on the keys.

"Wow." I said chuckling. "What did that piano ever do to you? You sound like you just lost your one and only true love." I said sitting next to him. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Unfortunately," He started. "My true love remains myself." I laughed and looked at him.

"Well, at least you won't have to worry about rejection." I shrugged.

"Not necessarily, I turn myself down every once and a while just to keep it interesting." He said. I laughed again and started playing Fur Elise. "Come on. I want to show you something." He took my wrist and led me out of the music room. He covered my eyes most of the way then uncovered them while we walked up a small staircase.

We stopped infront of the greenhouse doors. He opened them and motioned me in while holding the door open for me.

"You look like you've never been here." Jace said laughing. I laughed and shook my head while looking around.

"I've been in here once. And that was when I had to find you because you took my bra." I retorted. He laughed and grabbed my hand and led me to the center of the garden. There was a large spiral steel staircase in the middle. He pulled out a little velvet covered box and handed it to me.

"Happy birthday." He whispered into my ear. I grinned and opened it. I saw a blue, glowing rock with a rune engraved on it. I picked it up and held it out.

"A Witchlight?" I asked. "You know, when a girl says she wants a big rock, she doesn't really mean a big rock." He laughed and took it out of my hand.

"I kind of broke your other one, so here." He said tossing the rock from hand to hand. "Won it off Alec at Pandemonium a few years back."

"Alec? At Pandemonium? Oh, thanks for pouring all of your heart into this gift." I said sarcastically. He glared at me. "I'm joking!" I said holding my hands up. "What rune is that? I've never used it before." He took a step towards me and tilted his head to the side.

"You'd better not have used it before. It's the rune of a broken heart." He said. "I want to tell you a story. There once was a boy. His father loved him very much. For the boys birthday, his father got him a falcon. He told his son to tame the bird. The boy took the falcon and stroked its wings until it ate out of his hand and trusted him. He took it to his father hoping that he'd be proud of him. Instead of congratulating his son, the father took the falcon and broke it's neck. He said, 'You did not tame it, you broke it. To love is to destroy, and to be loved is to be the one destroyed.' The son cried all night, and from then on, he never cried again." I looked into Jace's eyes even though he refused to make eye contact with me.

"I'm sorry." I said. He looked at me and gave me a sad smile. He raised his hand to my face and wiped away a silent tear. Her started leaning in. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Hugo watching us.

"Um, we should go. We've got company." I whispered. He stopped and our faces were only inches apart. The little lighty bugs (that's what I like to call them) flew out of all the flowers.

"Yeah." He said. I turned around and walked towards the steel stair case. I stepped up two and slipped. Jace caught me in his warm arms and looked down at me. Without hesitation, he pressed his lips against mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his found my waist. "How.... Come.... We haven't.... Ever tried this..... Before?" He asked between kisses. I pulled away and looked at him with a grin.

"Because my brother doesn't have the decency to knock even if his life depended on it." I said. He smiled and kissed me again. He licked my lip asking for an enterance and deepened the kiss. Just then, the sprinklers went off but we didn't break apart. He pulled my hair out of the messy bun knowing it would get all knotted if I didn't. I smiled into the kiss and pushed the hair out of my face.