Chapter10- Valentine

I woke up with an awful headache and walked down to the kitchen, making sure to stay away from Jace. I saw Clary sitting at the table twiddling her thumbs.

"Happy birthday!" I said a little to loud. I pinched the bridge of my nose. She smiled at me. I walked to the fridge and got a cupcake out. "Here." I said handing it to her.

"Thanks." She said smiling. I nodded and sat across from her. "How do you feel? Damion told me you kind of drank your problems away last night." She said. I laughed and took a piece of candy off her cupcake then ate it.

"Yeah, when you're able to drink, pour your feelings into a drawing, not a shot glass. So, what do you want to do?" I asked taking an orange out of the fruit bowl and peeling it.

"I don't know. I was just going to take a walk." She shrugged. I gave her a 'not by yourself' look. "Inside the Institute." She said. I smiled and nodded. She finished her cupcake and left the kitchen.

I decided I was going to follow her, mainly because I don't want her walking around by herself. I followed her to the stone bridge where Alec stopped her. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but then I heard a loud thud. I came from around the corner and saw Alec holding Clary up against the wall by her neck.

"Alec!" I yelled. He put her down and looked at me then walked away. "Are you alright, Clary?" I asked. She nodded and rubbed her neck.

"I'm going to talk to Hodge about something." She said. I nodded and gave her a half smile.

"Alright." I then went after Alec. "Alec Lightwood!" I screamed. He turned around on his heel.

"What?" He asked.

"What the hell was that?" I asked motioning to the bridge.

"She almost got us killed!" He pointed out.

"So? What if I almost got us killed? Would you choke me or ask me to leave?" I asked crossing my arms. He went silent then turned back around and went to his room. He slammed the door causing me to flinch.

I walked down the hall and saw Jace leaving his room. I ignored him and kept walking, but he cought my arm.

"Jess, let me talk to you." He said. I pulled my arm away from him.

"Why should I let you even go near me? After last night, honestly." I scoffed. He looked at me hurt. To be honest, it hurt me too.

"I'm sorry. I was mad last night, I was jealous." He said with sympathy in his voice. "When you and Simon were in the infermary, I saw him kiss you. I couldn't face the fact that I couldn't have you. Because, the truth is...... I love you." I looked at him like I never have before. He cupped my cheek and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around his neck and deepened the kiss.

He stepped back into his room and closed the door. I ran my hands through his hair and he put his on my waist. I broke apart breathing a bit more heavy than usual. He grinned at me and gave me a short kiss.

"Jace." I said after he pulled away. "What are we?" I asked sighing.

"What do you mean?" He asked with a confused look.

"I mean, us. What are we? We've been best friends for as long as I can remember. What if something happens and we can't bare to stay in the same room with each other?" I asked. "After last night, you hurt me, and I was sure that's how it was going to be." He kissed me again but it was soft and gentle. I gently pulled him towards me leaving no space between us.

"I would never think about hurting you." He whispered. I smiled and gave him another long kiss. "I love you. And I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."