Letters to nowhere - Part IV

Scarlett

A friendship beginning on the basis of a lie didn't seem that well off, but if I needed a friend who accepted me for me than I had to overlook it. I shakily pick the pen,
Dear Cane :

I am a mere servant in the castle, I don't get out much. My status depends a hesitant repky, therefore I will not hold any grudges if you do.

From: S

''Post this will you?'' I conceal the letter in an envelope. ''I'll do that'' Sarah takes the envelope from my hand.

Whispers from outside my room could be heard, I quickly stumble out of bed, pressing my ear against the door, ''Keep Sarah away from her, I don't want her influencing the next princess with these bad habits, till she learns to act the way she's supposed to, she will be left in her room. We are absolutely fortunate that Prince William has agreed, yet again, to meet her. If she messes up this time, what will come of us'' I made that voice out to be dad's.

''Maybe she isn't comfortable around him, why are you forcing the issue? Just let her be!'' An equally powerful voice erupts, belonging to my elder brother, ''I'm the future King, The Queen would be my wife, so why bring Scarlett into the royal game? She isn't near the throne, let her be as she pleases''

''Let her be??? Have you noticed her shameful acts? If she isn't on this throne we expect her to be on someone else's! Prince William is willing to make her his wife! Then he inherits the throne, making Scarlett the next Queen!'' Dad's voice slightly alarming.

''What if she doesn't want to be a Queen? Are you still going to force her to marry him? How do you expect her to live with someone like that???'' My brother tries desperately to reason with them.

'I expect this behaviour from her and not you Dylan, think practically about this, what would people say if we send our daughter off to a peasant's house? She's shamed us enough! If she ever wants to be apart of this family again she will have to marry him! And if you go against our commands you're free to leave too. There are traditions in a palace, traditions that never bend, not for any soul. We've all followed them, it's sad to see our line destroying them''

''Maybe if you stepped off your thrown a little, you'd understand why'' Pain engulfing Dylan's tone.

I slowly drop my body to the ground, have I really caused all of this? How could I be so selfish? I never gave thought to anyone that has been affected by my actions. I swallow painfully and cup my face in despair, our family was shattered and I couldn't help but feel guilty for it.

I instantly stand up and push the door open, my family members quickly look up startled, I inhale deeply, aware that this was probably the most insane decision I've ever made, probably one I'd always regret, but if I intended setting things right then I had to do it, ''I'm ready'' I bite my lip, ''Ready to marry Prince William''

The entire room portrayed silence for a few moments. ''ARE YOU INSANE SCARLETT??!!'' Dylan shouts hysterical, ''I know what I'm doing'' I reply.

''No you don't! You're not indebted to anybody to ruin your life this way!! There's always another way out!'' He steps towards me, anger running through him.

''William will look after me, he's everything I've ever asked for'' I look down as guilt washes over me, ''And who are you fooling Scarlett? Me? Or yourself? You're 17 and he's 22!''

''I'm almost eighteen, a four year gap is not a train smash! After spending today with him I realised that he isn't that ba--''

''Oh hold your mouth Scarlett! Spending ten minutes with him and then pretending to faint is NOT getting to know the guy! Did he even carry you home!? Or did he get servants to do it for him?? Don't you think you deserve a guy that would do those things himself!!! Why don't you understand!''

I hold up my hand silencing my uncontrollable brother, ''I've made my decision, now please, do not attempt to change my mind''

He looks away as hurt radiates his expression, ''Fine Scarlett, all the best, I really hope you're doing this for yourself and not to please the people around you''