16. "Goodbye Echo"

I pulled Gray close to me once Claire left. I didn't want him to get hurt, honestly I didn't even want him to see this. Zack did the same as we huddled in the corner of the souvenir boutique.

I could hear the sounds of Owen shooting, and to be honest it scared me. I'm usually not a tough girl, I just pretended to make sure that Gray wouldn't be as scared.

I looked at Zach and kissed him on the cheek to get the thoughts out of my head. He smiled and kissed me on the lips.

"We're gonna be okay. Owen and Claire aren't gonna leave us," Zach reassured Gray. He simply nodded and looked around frantically.

All of a sudden, the growls stopped. Then something flew right at us. It was Echo.

"Oh my god! No!" I yelled. Zach tried to grab me before I ran to the Dino, but I just pushed him away.

With tears streaming down my face, I hugged the velociraptors face. I've known her for so long, we had a bond.

It's just like losing a cat or a dog, but this was way more. This was a 60 million year old dinosaur brought back to this century by man, only for it to be destroyed by its own kind.

God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroy God. Man creates dinosaurs.

But this time, dinosaurs will destroy man.

"Maxi! She's gone. You need to let her go," Gray softly spoke. I know I shouldn't show him how scared I actually was, but I just lost my best friend. I was always with her.

My dad was one of the scientists that created the Velociraptors. I was only 11 when they hatched, but something just made me so curious that I researched everything about Velociraptors. I was up until 4am reading on their behavior, strategy, what they eat, and much more.

I was so intrigued. When they hatched, you could say I was the happiest person on Earth. I even pretended to be sick some days so I could go to work with my dad. Of course he knew I wasn't sick, he just loved to see me taking care of the raptors.

When I was 14, I was allowed to become one of the trainers. My dad told me that I was the most experienced person their because of all my research I did every night. I practiced training every night. I honestly wanted to be the best.

When I was 15, my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. He never smoked around me, but I guess he did it a lot at work. When they found out, it was too late. They tried to do all they could, but he didn't survive.

His last words were, "Take care of 'em raptors for me will ya? I love you."

I cried for 3 days straight before I even got out of my bed. I went straight to the park once I finally did get out.

Now, echo was really all I had left of my dad, along with the other raptors.

"Goodbye, Echo," is all I said until I broke down.