Chapter Eight

Sitting across from Devon, observing his every move made me wonder what it's like to truly love someone unconditionally. He was a gracious person with a great heart, genteel in every regards but still I couldn't help but wonder if he was a total fraud or the real deal. To be honest I am not one to distinguish between the two, I usually make poor decisions as it relates to men.

But there was something significantly different and special about Devon, he was a cut from a rare fabric. Like the Vicuna — the rarest, softest and most expensive in the world. He was selfless and always thrives towards the betterment of others. That was evident the first time we met, he made me realize that I was worth much more than a girl dancing on stage with dollar bills being thrown at her. At first I thought he was trying to insult me and my lifestyle but after giving it due considerations, I realized that he was in fact just trying to help. That was when I decided to accept his job offer as a realtor, to this day it's one of the best decisions I've made.

Even though Devon and I slept together once, which he informed me was a mistake because he was in a relationship at the time... He has never mentioned— not once afterwards, anything about our encounter, he always treated me with utmost respect.

However, there was still the lingering feeling of tension between us whenever we are together.

After our first sexual encounter, I tried on numerous occasions to get him back into bed but he kept resisting. I must say it gave me a belittled feeling because, I thought, I had a body that anyone would want to explore more than once.

However, to him it was unhealthy for us to be in a relationship merely based on sex, but in my view that was the ideal relationship I needed. Little did he know that most of my relationships were solely based on sex... Especially with strangers.

"Is something wrong with my face?" Asked Devon somewhat puzzled.

"Huh?" I returned, equally confused.

"You have been musing over your food and staring at me the whole time so I was just wondering if there is something on my face or maybe in my teeth that have caused you to loose your appetite,what is it?"

"Oh my gosh Devon no, it's nothing like that I was just thinking about some other stuff... The food is delicious thanks again for stopping by!" I replied with a slight smile, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"Hmm , are you sure that's all?" He asked, seemingly still not convinced.

"Yeah that's it besides, if I was thinking about something different you'd be the first to know..." I lied before giving him an halfhearted chuckle.

He didn't respond but he gave me a slight nod as if he was giving me the benefit of the doubt...

"So," he replied in more cheerful tone.

"Have you ever been to the Holiday Inn?" He asked with a sleek smile.

"No I've never been there, why do you ask?"

"No reason... I just have an executive dinner there tomorrow night and it would mean so much to me if you could attend it with me!" 

"Are you asking me out Mr. Parkinson?" I answered flirtatiously.

"That depends, are you interested?" He returned..

"Well I think I could spear a little time for a little recreation..." I responded with a smile.

We both laughed.

"Well it's getting late and I really don't want to keep you up so let's clear this table and get back your kitchen to it's original  perfection.."  He added as we finished up dinner and was clearing the table...