Chapter Nine

I was shocked out of my wits to see the figure of the person who emerged from the vehicle -with a grave expression on his face. With fist folded and teeth clench he stepped towards us. With one angry thrust, he grabbed Cornelius's shoulder; dragging him forward, turning his face towards him, Devon began punching him mercilessly. Cornelius tried to fight back but Devon was too strong.

In an attempt to break free from Devon's grip, Cornelius used his head to head-butt Devon in his chest, this caused Devon to stumble backwards and grab his chest instantly. Cornelius used this opportunity to try to get away but Devon wasn't about to let that happen. Cornelius fell to the ground as soon as Devon used his feet to trip him. Devon began kicking him all over his face repeatedly, his face became instantly swollen.

I wanted Devon to beat the life out of Cornelius, I wanted him to feel the true meaning of pain but as I stood there staring at him gasping for breath, I realize that I couldn't just stand around and watch him being beaten to death - all because of me. I felt like a murderer without even lifting a finger

"Devon stop!" I finally shouted, voice rippled with fear.

As if hearing my voice brought him back to consciousness, Devon suddenly stopped and stepped away from Cornelius then made his way toward me.

"What the fuck are you doing with this guy, Huh?" asked Devon with an annoyed expression.

"I ah. I..." I was lost for words, what was I supposed to say to him? 'oh this guy has been blackmailing me for something I did a year ago, so now he can just do whatever he wants with me' I really didn't think that, that was the best option.

"You what Athena?!... Jesus Christ I can't believe you, what the fuck are you doing screwing a guy in full view of the public? On the most important night of my career and most of all when I ask you to be my da..." Stopping mid-sentence he folded his fist and swung it in the direction of my face. Tightly closing my eyes I braced myself for the impact of the blow but somehow it never came.

I was terrified. I've never seen Devon this angry in my entire time of dealing with him. I understand that he's very upset with me but the way he was acting scared the shit out of me.

"You know what Athena, you ain't worth shit. You belong with this punk, I won't get myself into any unnecessary trouble because of you!" He spat before marching towards his vehicle. I froze, in shock.

Devon resembled a raging storm, his words cut deep into my flesh- each word had a devastating effect on me.

Devon hopped into his car and sped off down the road leaving only traces of dust along the way. He was driving so fast that he ran a stoplight, almost hitting a pedestrian. But he didn't stop, he continued at bird speed.

"Why didn't you tell me that you have a boyfriend?" asked Cornelius weakly.

"You go to hell, you have no business knowing about my personal life. Get the hell off my porch right now!" I shouted.

"Fuck you bitch! You didn't have no problem a minute ago when my dick was inside of you, did you? I didn't rape you, you wanted it so don't talk shit to me..." He said in an arrogant and unfeeling manner.

I couldn't take it anymore, of all the times I've belittled myself, I've never felt as low as the way I do tonight. I felt tears trickling down my cheeks, my head was pounding and I felt instantly weak.

I was about to open my front door when I noticed that a small crowd had gathered at the entrance of my driveway. I wanted to scream at them, telling them to mind their own business but I couldn't find my voice. But why would I even bother, it would only make me feel worse.