Chapter One

The brunette's eyes drooped. She was exhausted and hungry, and the tight dress she was wearing wasn't helping. She shook her head to keep herself awake. The sound of snoring filled her ears and she looked over at the well-dressed man sitting next to her- her husband. The woman kicked him, causing him to jolt awake.

"Stephen!" she hissed. "You can't just start snoring in the middle of the Tony's!"

"I can't help that it's this boring," Stephen muttered. "How much longer until your nomination?"

"Another hour," Rachael said. "I can hardly stand it. I'm so nervous."

Stephen took his wife's hand in his. "Whatever happens, I'll always be proud of you. You gave it your all, and that's what matters."

"I'm not gonna win," Rachael sighed. "Anastasia hasn't won anything so far, why would it win best actress?"

"Because of you." Stephen smiled at his wife. "And your performance of Once Upon a December is sure to get the award for best song."

"Stephen, they decided the winners weeks ago," Rachael sighed.

"Then they'll change their minds." Stephen shrugged.

After another twenty minutes, Rachael's seat-holder came over to take her seat while she went up and performed her song. She gave Stephen a kiss before walking out. Stephen never failed to be amazed by Rachael's voice. He'd heard her sing hundreds of times and she only seemed to get better with every song.

Stephen and Rachael had known each other for years. They had become friends one day when they were both still in elementary school. A six year-old Rachael had pestered a ten year-old Stephen until he had agreed to be friends with her. After that, they were inseparable.The two of them had remained best friends for twenty-three years (even sharing an apartment) before tragedy struck. Stephen had been driving to a dinner to give a speech when he got into a car crash because he had been texting with Rachael while driving. The nerves in his hands had been destroyed beyond repair. After a huge fight where Rachael had been blamed for Stephen's accident, he had gone to Nepal to be taught by someone who called herself the Ancient One. While there, Stephen became the Sorcerer Supreme and learned all about using magic. He had come back to protect Rachael and then taken her to Kamar-Taj. They had kissed and confessed their love for each other. The rest was history.

Once Rachael was done singing, she received a huge round of applause. She came back down to her seat, Stephen rising to meet her. He gave her a kiss and smiled at her when they broke away.

"I never get tired of hearing you sing," he said. Rachael smiled at him and chuckled.

"You used to tell me to shut up when we were kids," she pointed out as they sat back down.

"I've matured." Stephen shrugged.

After another forty minutes, it was finally time for the award for Best Actress in a Musical. Rachael reached over and took Stephen's hand as they announced the nominees. Stephen gave her hand a squeeze

"It's going to be fine," he whispered.

When they read off Rachael's name, Stephen looked at her proudly and lovingly. Rachael leaned against him, letting him give her head a kiss. Her body tensed again and she sat up straight when the man opened the envelope.

"The award goes to..." he took out the small sheet of paper. "Rachael Barrow, Anastasia!"

Shock filled Rachael and then joy. She stood up, Stephen doing the same and grabbing her to kiss her passionately. Rachael cupped his face in her hands. When they broke apart, Stephen had tears in his eyes. He never cried. Rachael let out something between a sob and a laugh. She rested her forehead against his.