Chapter Five

The next morning, Rachael woke up to the space next to her empty. That was odd. She was usually the first one up and Stephen would sleep until around eleven in the morning. Rachael threw the covers off of her and left the safety and comfort of her bed for the cold, hardwood floor of her apartment. What she saw when she left didn't please her one bit. 

Evanora and Stephen were sitting at the table, talking and laughing as if they were old friends. What Rachael really didn't like, though, was that Evanora had her hand on Stephen's knee. Rachael cleared her throat, making Stephen look up.

"Oh, darling, you're up," he said. 

"Yep," Rachael said.

"Stephen was telling me a few stories from when you were kids," Evanora explained. "It seems like you've been through a lot together." 

"Yep." Rachael popped the 'p.' 

"You think that with all you've been through, you would have children together already." Evanora looked from Rachael to Stephen. Rachael gritted her teeth. 

"I don't think I'm ready for that yet," she sweetly replied. 

"But from the way Stephen talks about it, he is," Evanora said. 

"Evanora!" Stephen hissed. Rachael gaped. 

"You told her?" Her gaze flicked to Stephen.

"I may have mentioned it." The former doctor was starting to sweat nervously. He shot a glare at Evanora, but she was didn't stop.

"You're denying him a chance at happiness." The blue-haired woman stood up.

"It's my body." Rachael crossed her arms.

"You're being selfish."

"Always have been, always will be." 

"You're acting like a child." 

"Then maybe I shouldn't have any." 

The two women were only a foot apart from each other now. Stephen wondered if they'd actually escalate to physical fighting. Rachael maintained eye contact with her guest for a few more moments before turning to Stephen. 

"Meet me outside, now.

Stephen knew better than to argue with her when she was this angry and followed her outside the door. Evanora watched them leave. He was a little wary about leaving her in the apartment alone, but if he opened his mouth he knew Rachael would silence him anyway. She led him to the stairwell and stood at the top with him. 

"Why were you telling our private business to a complete stranger?" She asked. 

"I was thinking about how I wanted kids with you and she said she could sense that I wanted something. I didn't want to tell her, but she just kept badgering me so I finally told her to get her off my back." Stephen explained. "I shouldn't have done it, and I know it was wrong. I'm sorry." 

Rachael stared at him for another moment before sighing. "That's not okay, Stephen. That's our private life." 

"I know, I know," Stephen assured her. "I swear, I won't do it again."

"Good." Rachael said. She paused before saying, "I'm not sure that I want you two alone with each other anymore." 

Stephen stood up straighter, any trace of shame gone. "Why? Because I dare to have fun with and talk to another woman who isn't you?"

"You don't know Evanora!" Rachael snapped. 

"Neither do you!" Stephen pointed out.

"Stephen, you didn't even know she existed until two nights ago," Rachael said. "I honestly don't care if you have fun with other women. That's fine with me. But the thing is, we don't know what's going on."