Chapter Eight

Rachael trudged up the stairs, almost giddy. She was finally getting that...trollop out of her house and she couldn't be more happy about it. She unlocked the door and walked inside, a huge grin on her face.

"Stephen? Wong said that he'll..." Rachael's voice trailed off, her grin sliding off her face, as she saw the sight in front of her: Evanora and Stephen were locked in each other's arms, practically shoving their tongues down each other's throats.

Rachael's first reaction was shock; pure and utter shock. Then came anger. She slammed the door, which seemed to pull Evanora and Stephen out of their trance. Stephen looked over at her and all the color drained from his face. Good, it served him right to be afraid of her. She looked at Evanora, but the girl was just smirking at her as if to say, "I've won." That made Rachael even more furious. Did she have no remorse?

"R-Rachael..." Stephen stammered. "I...this isn't..."

"You better not finish that because it is exactly what it looks like." Rachael cut across him, secretly proud that her voice hadn't cracked. "I knew it. I knew it from the very beginning. Do you think I'm stupid?"

Stephen at least had the sense to push Evanora away from him. "I didn't-"

"No. You don't get to talk. I know exactly what I saw. She didn't come onto you; it wasn't harassment. You were enjoying yourself. You only stopped when you knew I was here." Rachael got in his face. "What did I ever do to deserve this, Stephen?! What?!"

"It wasn't...I- you..." Stephen couldn't seem to find his words.

"Did you really think I wouldn't find out? I'm not dumb, Stephen," Rachael snapped. "You're so worried about what your enemies will do to you, yet you're the only enemy you ever seem to lose to." She shook her head and scoffed. "For someone with several degrees, you're an idiot. Now, get out of my house."

"Rachael, please-"

"Get out of my house!" Rachael screamed at him. Ah, so there was the heartbreak.

"Rachael..." his voice cracked. He stepped forward, his hand held out as though to caress her cheek, but Rachael backed away.

"Leave. Now."

"You can tell her no, Stephen," Evanora finally piped up and Rachael rounded on her.

"You don't get to have any say in this, you homewrecking piece of-" Rachael stopped when Stephen put a hand on her shoulder. "Get. Off. Me."

"You should leave," he said.

"This is my house. It's been in my name since you went to Kathmandu." Rachael's voice was deathly quiet. "Not yours."

Stephen didn't answer, just started backing her toward the door. Evanora was grinning from ear to ear. All Rachael wanted to do was go over and slap it off her face, but Stephen was blocking her. Rachael looked up at her husband. Was that even the right term for him anymore?

"If you do this, there's no chance of redemption in my eyes," she warned. Stephen didn't say anything, just kept backing her up until she was at the door.

"Go," he murmured, his voice emotionless.

Rachael's mouth hung agape. Her voice cracked for the first time as she murmured, "You're really willing to throw away twenty years? Everything we went through together?"

Stephen's eyes were cold and emotionless as he stared back at her. He didn't say a word. Rachael's eyes narrowed before she slapped him and stormed out. She raced down to the parking garage and got into her car and just sobbed. She'd done nothing to deserve this. Absolutely nothing. She should have seen it coming. He'd been acting so different toward her lately. Where the hell was she supposed to go? She supposed she could go to the Sanctum until she could get in touch with her lawyer.