Chapter Six

Rachael unlocked the door to the apartment, carrying a box of pizza and a bottle of Pepsi. It had been a long day and she was utterly exhausted. All she wanted to do was curl up in Stephen's lap and not move.

Stephen was sitting on the couch, his laptop open. He looked up at her, his face impassive.

"Hi," he murmured, turning back to the screen. Rachael sighed. The fight was still fresh in his mind, apparently.

"Hi," she replied. "I have dinner."

"Thank you." Stephen didn't look at her.

"It doesn't look like you made that," Evanora remarked. Rachael gripped the counter and took a deep breath.

"We always get pizza on Fridays. It's our tradition," she explained.

"Well, your tradition is going to end with him dead." She nodded to Stephen.

Rachael whirled around and snapped, "Why are you so critical of how I live my life? This is my house. You are my guest. If you don't like the way, then you can leave."

Evanora's eyes narrowed. "I'm only pointing out how this is unhealthy for Stephen. I don't see why you're getting so angry."

"Stephen is extremely fit and healthy, so I don't see why it's bad for him to have a bit of a treat on Fridays," Rachael's voice was low. "We've been doing this for years, so we aren't going to stop now just because you don't like it. Now, like I said, if you don't like how we live our life you can either shut up or get out of the house." 

Evanora held up her hands. "Alright. It's not my fault you're an awful wife. Not giving him children, feeding him garbage. It's truly terrible."

"That's enough." Stephen stood up and came between the two. "Evanora, I appreciate your concern for my safety, but I assure you that I'm fine." Rachael smirked and nodded as if that settled the matter before Stephen turned to her, "And you. Evanora is our guest, and I expect you to be more polite in the future."

Rachael gaped at him. "Are...are you actually serious right now?"

"Do I look like I'm not?" Stephen tilted his head. 

"Wow," Rachael murmured. "Alright. Fine, then."

She turned on her heels, grabbed her purse, and left the way she'd come. She got in her car in the parking garage and slammed her fists on the wheel, various curses and obscenities pouring from her mouth.

"Who the hell does she think she is?!" She shouted. "She thinks she can just come into my house, get all cozy with my husband, and criticize my life?" 

Rachael forced herself to stop. She needed to calm down. Maybe she should just drive around for a few hours singing along to her various playlists. That always made her feel better. She pulled out of the spot she was in and set off toward the nearest fast food place as Hamilton blasted in the background. If Stephen didn't quit this, it was time to consider if this was really who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.

------------------------------------

Stephen winced as Rachael slammed the door...again. His head felt like it was full of fog and he tried to shake it to clear it. What had he just said? What had he just done? 

"Wait, Rachael!" He started after her before Evanora put her hand on his shoulder.

"Let her go."

"What did you just say?"

"I told you to let her go. It's clear to me that she doesn't care about you."

Stephen glared at her. "You're wrong. If anyone's not caring enough in this relationship, it's me. She's bent over backwards for me, and I'm not going to let myself lose the one person I care about the most."