Chapter Eleven

Rachael laid down in her usual spot for the night. A week since Loki had first offered her his arm and they'd been thick as thieves ever since. She was sure it was just because she was desperate for attention and reassurance after what Stephen had done and Loki was desperate for some form of control over the other sorcerers, but she'd take it. At least it felt like he cared. 

She heard someone settle down behind her and looked over her shoulder to see that it was Loki. She raised her eyebrows at him. "What are you doing here?"

"You act like you think I haven't noticed that you don't sleep during the night," he teased. "This time you're going to get some rest."

"I can take care of myself, thank you." Rachael gave him a look before turning back around and pulling her sweatshirt tighter around her. As she was drifting off, the God of Mischief decided to speak again.

"Can I...put an arm around you?" He swallowed and for the first time, Rachael thought that she heard him sounding nervous. She hesitated. She didn't want to lead him on... but he was quite sweet and she missed having someone to sleep next to at night. 

"Fine," she conceded.

Loki smirked and threw his arm around her, gently pulling her back so that he was spooning her. Rachael jumped when her body touched his.

"You're freezing!" She exclaimed, earning a few glares from those trying to sleep around them. Loki chuckled. 

"I'm half Frost Giant, darling," he explained. "Don't worry, it doesn't affect me negatively."

"If you say so." She shrugged.

They fell silent after that. The rhythmic rise and fall of Loki's breath started to lull her to sleep. An odd rumbling filled her ears that she assumed was the building's faulty heating system. She tried to ignore it, but it just got louder and louder. She raised her head, thoroughly irritated.

 "What in God's name is that?" 

Loki had raised his head as well. Before he could speak, she heard someone yelling furiously before being cut off with a horrific gurgling noise. Rachael realized with horror that she had posted a guard right where the noise was coming from. She stood up immediately, but before she could go see what was going on, the doors had opened and the body of a young student-Rachael hadn't even known his name-was thrown in. His neck was twisted at an odd angle and blood trickled out of the corners of his mouth. 

Rachael's eyes drifted to the figure in the doorway and dismay filled her as she recognized him immediately. 

"Stephen?"

Everyone was already up. There was a moment of silence as everyone stared in dismay at the body of the guard, then at Stephen. Asriel appeared at his side. Rachael opened her mouth to speak, but her voice got caught in her throat. Asriel locked eyes with Rachael, smirking at her. She looked up at Stephen.

"Get them." 

"Attack!" 

The battle cry had come from Loki and the other sorcerers sprang to action. Rachael looked at Stephen, deeply disturbed when she saw the lack of emotion in his eyes.  Neither of them moved to attack. Rachael couldn't help noting how awful Stephen looked. He was skinnier and his face was gaunt. In spite of all that had happened between them, she was concerned for his well-being.

"Stephen..." she murmured again, stepping forward. She cautiously held her hand out, a clear invitation. Stephen stared at her outstretched hand, then back at her. Her blood ran cold when she saw that he didn't recognize her. Her voice cracked when she spoke again. "What has she done to you?"