Chapter 24: The Monsters

"Thanks for the food!"

Jodie's 'mom' smiled as she took Cry's dishes away.

"You're welcome, Cry."

Cry grinned as he got out of his chair; he ran over to Jodie, who just finished her food.

"Let's go, Jodie!"

The brunette giggled softly as she took Cry's hand; the two left the dining room, passing Jodie's 'dad'.

Secretly, Cry glared at the other--he never liked how the man treated Jodie like a monster.

Cry continued to pull Jodie along to her bedroom; they gave each other privacy as they changed into pajamas before going into the bathroom to brush their teeth.

When they were done, Cry settled down on the sleeping bag on the floor as Jodie got into her own bed.

"'Night, Jods!"

The girl smiled at the other.

"Mm.  Goodnight, Cry."

She switched her lamp off.

~~

Squeak.

Cry snapped his eyes open at the small noise; his instincts were acting up.

Something was wrong.

The brunet sat up and scanned the room closely; his hand went to the tattoo on his wrist.

Then his sea-blue eyes landed on the animal that was holding two cymbals in its hands; he sweatdropped.

'It's going to move, isn't it?'

Squeak, squeak.

The two hands moved and clanked the cymbals together.

'Cr** this is like one of those horror movies.'

He saw movement at the corner of his eyes and saw Jodie slowly waking up.

"Cry...?"

The brunet was over there in a second, holding a finger to his lips.

*Don't move, Jodie.*

The brunette somehow got the message and nodded her head slightly, becoming deathly still.

Cry gave a reassuring smile to her as he sat on the edge of her bed, eyes roaming the room.

And then...

...he saw it.

Some sort of demonic spirit with tentacles was floating around the room, causing a breeze to blow by.

Cry narrowed his gaze as he touched his wrist again; he glanced back at Jodie and gave a small smile.

"I'm pretty weird too, Jodie."

Jodie widened her eyes as Cry pulled a flaming...knife from his wrist--she was still shocked though.

Cry sweatdropped as he looked at his weapon.

'I guess the size of the sword shrunk along with me...'

The brunet sighed as he steadied it in front of him.

'It'll have to do for now.'

Suddenly, a blue light floated beside him--it suddenly turned into a go shyly shape of a boy that had Jodie's face; Cry blinked his eyes in surprise as he glanced at it.

'Don't get me wrong.  I'm only doing this for Jodie.'

The voice was a bit warped but still child-like.

Cry grinned as he looked at the evil spirit before them.

'Okay~!  But you should really tell her that you love her.  You are her brother after all.'

The blue spirit became fuzzy; Cry could guess that Aiden was actually blushing.

'Wh-Wha--!?  Sh-Shut up!'

Cry chuckled mentally before charging at the evil spirit in front of him, slicing through a few tentacles as Aiden held some of them.

The brunet plunged his knife through the head, and it disappeared in  burst of black mist.

Suddenly, two more appeared as Cry's right hand turned into a mass of wind; Jodie gasped in surprise.

He punched both of them, destroying them in an instant.

Immediately, the dark aura left the room, and it felt easier to breathe.

Cry sighed in relief as he dispelled his knife and deactivated his powers.

Aiden huffed as he crossed his arms, floating back to Jodie's side.

The brunette herself jumped out of bed and glomped Cry; the brunet blinked in surprise as a full-blown blush spread across his face.

"J-Jods?!"

"Thank you..." Jodie then held Cry in front of her as tears pricked the corners of her eyes. "You're not hurt, are you?  The monsters didn't get you, right?"

Cry blinked in surprise before grinning.

"Nah, I'm fine.  I had help from your brother."

"...My...brother...?"

Jodie widened her eyes out of shock as she glanced around the room.

"Aiden?  Is that true?"

The blue spirit scowled as he swatted at Cry's head.

'That was supposed to be a secret, you idjit!'

Jodie widened her eyes further; that a was all she needed to confirm her question.

"Why didn't you tell me before, Aiden?"

Aiden scowled as he floated away.

'...I thought you wouldn't accept me.'

"Of course I would accept you!  If you're my brother, then you're my family, Aiden."

Aiden widened his eyes as he looked at Jodie; she couldn't see him, so she was simply glancing around the room.

'...You really mean it?  After all I've done?'

"Yes."

Her voice was so firm that Aiden believed her, tears fell from his eyes.

Cry didn't like the depressing mood too much, so he teased the spirit.

"Aiden turned into a cry baby~!"

'S-Shut it."